Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My clothes are still wet after the spin cycle; what should I

Customer Question

My clothes are still wet after the spin cycle; what should I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The most common cause of poor drying is a restricted air flow, usually caused by poor venting. Is the vent line clear from your machine to the outside of your home? If you remove the vent, does it help?
Also, you may have a sensor issue.
Inside the dryer are two metal strips that sense the moisture in the clothes. The clothing passes over the strips and create an electrical path with the moisture in them. The metal strips sense the resistance in that electrical path and send that resistance reading to the control. The control then reads the resistance reading, interprets the resistance and from that reading determines how long the dryer needs to run. The less moisture in the clothing, the higher the resistance. The problem is that over time, detergent and softener residue builds up on the metal sensor strips and creates an insulating barrier between the strips and the clothing. Since the strips cannot sense the moisture in the clothing because of this barrier, it sends a high resistance reading to the control. The control then interprets that to mean that the clothes are dry and shuts off prematurely. You will need to clean those strips with a Scotch Brite pad, steel wool, sand paper or other abrasive to remove that barrier.