Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We noticed our fridge wasn't cooling but the bottom freezer

Customer Question

hi. We noticed our fridge wasn't cooling but the bottom freezer was working properly. We had a repair man come out and he told us to unplug and restart the fridge. he said it would work for 2 weeks before we would need to replace the electronic controller. After sticker shock of $650 to replace it, i'm no longer confident i am getting accurate and trustworthy information
can you assist?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The repair estimate is ridiculously high! If you had no cooling in the upper portion, you lacked air flow, probably from a defrost issue. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer? May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Kbls19ktms2. There was frost on the back of the freezer and it was working.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Okay, so the defrost circuit has issues. There are three components in that circuit; the heater, thermostat and control. Even if you replaced all three parts, you would not get close to the repair estimate you were given. So, are you able to test and perform some disassembly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wow. Great feedback. I'm not handy I can do it
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
The electronic control is, by far, the most troublesome component in that circuit. The heater and thermostat rarely fail. The heater and thermostat are mounted behind the rear wall, inside the freezer. You could disassemble the freezer and remove the panel, a pretty entailed procedure. Or, if you wish, I can link you to the control from a company that allows returns on installed parts. I suspect the control is faulty, but that would protect you just in case your failure is odd and one of the other components has failed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Can you link me. I'm really not handy
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
The control is easy to replace with minimal disassembly. The new control comes with instructions, so you can replace it. I can also send you the service manual pages for that part, it will make it easy to replace. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare that information for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thank you
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY! CLICK HERE I actually found a video showing how to replace that control! CLICK HERE Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help! Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are awesome! Thank you so much for your help
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
You bet! Let me know how it goes, I will be here to help you once you get the part, if needed!