Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

Well, after a couple of months of the GE fridge working

Customer Question

Well, after a couple of months of the GE fridge working properly, water & ice production - the water was first to quit... it would start coming out, then pulsate rapidly... then no water. This went on awhile, then I noticed when the ice was filling up,
I could hear the pulsating from inside the freezer and soon not enough water was coming out to fill the ice cube tray. I went ahead and replaced the valve... but that didn't work. I guess it could be something else??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 2 years ago.
Hi, that's very strange. The noise would indicate a water flow issue. pressure or restriction could cause this. Double check that the valve is actually opening and letting water out. Check the filter and make sure the filter is good. If you have a filter by-pass, install it. A new filter would also work. Next I would inspect the water tank inside the refrigerator. It's possible the tank is frozen. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know where the water tank is... please advise. I thought it was just the coiled up plastic hose in the back of the fridge?
We don't use the filter, using the by-pass plug. I put in a new valve but fear I might have reversed the white plug, so I'll have to get another one. Once I put in the new valve... and after checking out the tank.
Any other thoughts?
Yes, the coil is the tank on this model. It has to be the valve, frozen tank, or the valve is not getting power.. If the valve is not getting 110v, the dispenser/switch is broken. You need a volt meter to verify. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay - I've got another valve coming from Amazon, found a new one for $15... it'll be here Sat. I won't be able to get to it anyway until Saturday. I'll make sure the coil isn't frozen, and then replace the value, and keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks - I'll rate you after this is completed this weekend.
Thanks. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay - the valve arrived by mail & I replaced it today. No water - I guess the line is plugged up someplace. What is the proceedure to check this out and insure the line isn't frozen?? I took a few drawers out and the line is incased in some styrofoam type insulation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thursday, July 2nd: It has to be a problem in the water lines - what is the best solution?
Thank you - Tim Hogeland