Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Mike, I have a maytag model AFD2525DEW refrig which is not defrosting. I ran the diagno

Customer Question

Hi Mike, I have a maytag model AFD2525DEW refrig which is not defrosting. I ran the diagnostics tests and test #1- Defrost Thermostat shows open circuit even when I immersed the thermostat in ice water for more than 15 mins. I purchased a new thermostat and yet get the same result- always open vs. short.
I also used the diagnostic to put into a forced defrost short cycle which did not cause the heater to come on.
It seems unlikely to me that replacement thermostat would be bad but dont understand why thermostat test still states open.
How can I tell if thermostat problem, heater problem or jazz circuit board problem?
Thanks
Darin
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
So first, the defrost thermostat will never have continuity in ice water. Ice water is only 32 degrees and the temperature must be below 30 degrees for the thermostat to get continuity. That means you need to clip the defrost thermostat onto the evaporator coils and turn the refrigerator on to frost up the evaporator coils. Wait 30 minutes or so and then test continuity through the thermostat to see if it's working. If that checks good, then test continuity through the heater. if the heater has continuity and the defrost thermostat has continuity, replace the jazz board.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?