Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

This question is repair: I have an older Kenmore

Customer Question
This question is for appliance...
This question is for appliance repair: I have an older Kenmore (freezer on the bottom) refrigerator and the fridge half quit working ... the compartment is room temperature. The freezer part seems to be working just fine - everything still frozen. (The fridge has been wedged into the wall opening, so I haven't been able to pull it out and "look" at anything. Will need to beg and plead for a couple of very strong folk to come over and pull it out when the time comes.:)) Can you give me any ideas - hope? - at to what it might be?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/20/2015
Appliance Technician: The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician replied 3 years ago
The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Hi, and welcome to justanswer.What you most likely have is a failed automatic defrost system. If the defrost system fails the evaporator coil ices up and no air can be blown across it to be cooled and sent to the refrigerator section.If you will provide the units model number I will see what it takes to diagnose and repair the unit. The model number should be on the manufacturers sticker inside the fresh foods compartment on one of the side walls.
Oh thank you for getting back to me! Took a second to find it, and of course it's on upside down! The Model no. is: 596,77277790 - I hope! Does this sound right? The light is on and I hear something running and the freezer seems fine... Thanks, Jan
I hope you're well! Don't bother responding ... I'm going to buy another fridge. Thanks anyway... Jan
You are welcome Jan.