Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE ice maker. Just go it last November. The clear…

Customer Question
I have a GE ice...
I have a GE ice maker. Just go it last November. The clear line that drains to the basement has a build up on dark brown to black material in the tube. What is that?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/19/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 3 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
The build up is just sediment from the drain water over time. Gunk/grime that goes out the drain line. All drain pipes in your house will have this same time of grime in them it's just that they are not clear so you can't see it. All that water goes out the drain so it's nothing to be concerned with but possibly after 10 years or so you may need to clean the line just like cleaning your sink drain line if too much gunk builds up and then you need to poor Draino or something like that down the line.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?