John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

No power going to compressor after new motherboard

Customer Question

no power going to compressor after new motherboard
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
You will need and know how to use a voltmeter here. You would not be buying these parts if you had one to make a diagnosis first. Post back if you are so equipped.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do have a multimeter and have tested these parts.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Why did you replace them then?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Motherboard was fried at a compressor relay,
So since the parts were relatively cheap, I figured might as well
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Is the evaporator fan and condenser fan running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes both fans are on.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
The condenser fan is in parallel with the compressor, so you must be getting power to the compressor. Get your meter and recheck it. You should have a black and orange wire that feed the fan and compressor, so I think you are overlooking a bad compressor here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Which wires should I test to see if I am getting power to the compressor.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
The black and orange- that's the power as I just stated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I jump the point j8 to j11 on the motherboard, the compressor does start
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
The wiring diagram I see must be different from your model as I am on the GE service site. I do not know what those points represent. I think you still have a bad board here as the temperature sensors must be fine otherwise the fan would not be running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where the power comes into the mother board (j11) then gets sent back out to either defrost (j9) or compressor (j8)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bottom left on the image I sent.If it is the motherboard as you say, what would cause the mother board to keep going bad, I ordered a new one and they sent it, I sent it back because I thought it was defective, & they sent me this third one. What are the chances that both boards are bad?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
That is doubtful then. When I am here I only know what you reveal. This info would have shaped my response had youy let me know all this up-front. Ohm out all your sensors. They should all be similar readings as they are all the same.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did an ohm test on them before installing the new sensors.What reading should I be getting
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
I do not know the exact reading, but all should be close to the same.Did you replace them? That's what you just implied.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I replaced the overload protection and the start relay on the compressor.The reading on the ohm test were
overload .4ohm
and start relay .2ohm for each side
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
I have made an offer for live help as typing out replies with you is not getting me the info I need.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will not be able to do live help at the moment, as i am currently on my way to work.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
You can accept this when you are ready if that is your wish as I can only resolve this by talking to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am currently not getting any voltage to my compressor.
Both evaporator and condenser fans are on.I have replaced the motherboard twice, as I thought the first was defective, and still having the same problem.
When I jump the connection (j8) to (j11) on the motherboard the compressor kicks on.I have tested the 3 windings on the compressor for ohms and they all were similar, can not recall the exact ohms.
I also tested them for grounding or shorts and none were present.I also tested the capacitor,
The start relay on the side of the compressor, and also the overload protection. They were all fine.
My question is what else would stop the compressor from getting voltage
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Bad sensors
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, so which sensors should I look for?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
I am only going to continue this live.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like to speak with another expert then.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Accept the offer and then we can converse.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No thank you. I would like to continue with another expert