Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

No power going to compressor after new motherboard

Customer Question
no power going to compressor after new motherboard
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/18/2015
Appliance Technician: MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician replied 3 years ago
MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
You will need and know how to use a voltmeter here. You would not be buying these parts if you had one to make a diagnosis first. Post back if you are so equipped.
I do have a multimeter and have tested these parts.
Why did you replace them then?
Motherboard was fried at a compressor relay,
So since the parts were relatively cheap, I figured might as well
Is the evaporator fan and condenser fan running?
Yes both fans are on.
The condenser fan is in parallel with the compressor, so you must be getting power to the compressor. Get your meter and recheck it. You should have a black and orange wire that feed the fan and compressor, so I think you are overlooking a bad compressor here.
Which wires should I test to see if I am getting power to the compressor.
The black and orange- that's the power as I just stated.
When I jump the point j8 to j11 on the motherboard, the compressor does start
The wiring diagram I see must be different from your model as I am on the GE service site. I do not know what those points represent. I think you still have a bad board here as the temperature sensors must be fine otherwise the fan would not be running.
Bottom left on the image I sent.If it is the motherboard as you say, what would cause the mother board to keep going bad, I ordered a new one and they sent it, I sent it back because I thought it was defective, & they sent me this third one. What are the chances that both boards are bad?
That is doubtful then. When I am here I only know what you reveal. This info would have shaped my response had youy let me know all this up-front. Ohm out all your sensors. They should all be similar readings as they are all the same.
I did an ohm test on them before installing the new sensors.What reading should I be getting
I do not know the exact reading, but all should be close to the same.Did you replace them? That's what you just implied.
Yes, I replaced the overload protection and the start relay on the compressor.The reading on the ohm test were
overload .4ohm
and start relay .2ohm for each side
I have made an offer for live help as typing out replies with you is not getting me the info I need.
I will not be able to do live help at the moment, as i am currently on my way to work.
You can accept this when you are ready if that is your wish as I can only resolve this by talking to you.
Hello, I am currently not getting any voltage to my compressor.
Both evaporator and condenser fans are on.I have replaced the motherboard twice, as I thought the first was defective, and still having the same problem.
When I jump the connection (j8) to (j11) on the motherboard the compressor kicks on.I have tested the 3 windings on the compressor for ohms and they all were similar, can not recall the exact ohms.
I also tested them for grounding or shorts and none were present.I also tested the capacitor,
The start relay on the side of the compressor, and also the overload protection. They were all fine.
My question is what else would stop the compressor from getting voltage
Bad sensors
Okay, so which sensors should I look for?
I am only going to continue this live.
I would like to speak with another expert then.
Accept the offer and then we can converse.
No thank you. I would like to continue with another expert