Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

When I push the start button my GE dryer just hums, the drum

Customer Question

when I push the start button my GE dryer just hums, the drum will not tumble. The dryer has power, the belt is not broken.
What do I do to get this dryer working??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If the dryer just hums it means that the drum is either jammed or the start winding on the motor isn't engaging--only the run winding. Open the door and turn the drum by hand to make sure the drum isn't jammed. If the drum rotates, there isn't anything you can do but replace the motor because the motor has failed and either the centrifugal switch built into the motor isn't sending power through the start winding, or the start winding on the motor has failed. Below is a link to the motor you'll need to order for your model and there is a video at the bottom of the link which shows you how to replace the part. The part is about $150 I'm sorry to say. CLICK HERE for motor and video We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does the motor reset at any point? This dryer has done this before and after several breaker resets and two days later it started working. I also have a friend whose Ge dryer did the same thing and started working a week later. Just curious if this is a condition of GE dryers.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
It does not. Sometimes you can spin the drum manually by hand and the centrifugal switch "might" reset. But even if it does it's just a temporary solution.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, thanks for the help. I have ordered a new motor. On a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the toughest, how hard is it to change out the motor?? I am a novice skill level.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
It's say it's a 3 or a 4, but you can watch the video in the link I gave you to see for yourself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks again.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
No problem and sorry about the bad news.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?