Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Kitchenaid refrigerator model number ksf26c4xyy03 making creaking…

Customer Question
kitchenaid refrigerator model number ksf26c4xyy03...
kitchenaid refrigerator model number ksf26c4xyy03 making creaking noises from damper assembly, I've replaced the damper assembly 2 times in 12 months. Is there a service bulletin or kits for this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
It seems that there is moisture that is condensing then freezing around the fresh food damper assembly which in turn causes the damper motor to labor as it is called to open and close to regulate fresh food temps.
6/17/2015
Appliance Technician: The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
I just checked the tech site and I am sorry but there is nothing on the problem you are having.
Try using some spray on dry lithium grease. It sprays on wet and dries leaving a thin film of dry lithium grease. You can get some at any auto parts house.
the dry lithium will help shed the moisture before it can freeze.
Spray it where? There seems to be an air leak somewhere that is causing the condensation on the damper door and motor. Gaskets are good, evaporator fan motor is fine, temps normal.
Give me a few minuets. I want to check something on the tech site. Be right back.
OK, thanks. There's got to be a heater kit or something to keep the damper assembly from icing up.
By the way, you can't get to the damper/motor assembly because it is incased in Styrofoam from the factory. Part number #W10251495
How we doing Smitty?
GOT IT!!
took some digging but found the part I recalled reading about some time ago. This is all it said but it says a lot.
RC1 – Ice in the Air Baffle
1. Dry out air baffle.
2. Install Air Scoop Heater #483166.
The part should have install instructions.
Cool, Is this heater kit specifically for my model#?
Not sure to be honest. It is a generic tech tip sheet. Not model specific.
So we are not sure if this will work on my model. I looked up the part number and it shows a heater/ foil assembly with wire connectors but no install instructions. I am afraid to buy it not knowing if it will work with my model # ***** without install instructions.
Do you have a link to the tech sheet so I can check it out for compatibility with my model number?
When you say "install air scoop heater" how exactly does that mean and where do you wire into?
I can't find anything about installing this part anywhere online. i.e. youtube, google, etc.
As this is an add on part it will come with installation instructions.
I have the sheet now. Be a minuet to upload it.
Here you go.
https://www.mediafire.com/?4ayu4p29ontkkuc
Are you sure it will work on my model? What air baffle are you referring to? If you have a part number for the baffle I can check to see if it is on my unit through the parts break down.
Smitty, that link you sent me was full of virus's. What's up?
WHAT!!! Looks like me and Mediafire are going to have a little talk!!
You are the second person to tell me that and I know damn good and well it isn't coming from my computer!
I will upload it to another server.
Also checking to be sure it will work with your unit.
I can't believe you sent me a link full of virus's and spam. Not cool.
I found the PDF, it looks like it is not for my unit which has the ice maker on the door. This instruction sheet shows it's for a unit with ice maker mounted in the freezer on the left, old school style. Does service matters have anything on this problem?
Hey, I didn't send any viruses! It is freaking Mediafire! I just scanned that file with MBAM, and McAfee. All good on my end.
The ice maker should not have any affect on the damper placement. They are all at the upper right of the freezer compartment.
Service Matters is where I got this information. I have an account there. Have had for a long time.
I understand, luckily i was able to delete it all from my PC. Take a look at the parts break schematic for the freezer section for my model and you will see how the air baffle is configured. It's actually mounted in the cieling of the freezer in the center. Let me know what you think. Can we talk over the phone so we can look at the same diagram together?
I sent you the additional services request. Once you accept it I can send the call information.
Nevermind, I didn't realize I have to pay more money especially since the answer to my issue is vague at best.
I appreciate your time, but it doesn't sound you have a confirmed solution for my particular problem.
Sorry they won't let me do it without the additional charge.
I know that the answer is lacking, but this is all there is on the issue. Believe me it took some digging just to get this!
Looking at the parts breakdown for your unit part #15 is what the heater sits in. the wires extend to the lower part of the unit and are connected to the wiring as shown in the tech sheet.
I wish I could be more definitive but there just is not any additional information available.
According to the air scoop heater PDF, the heater is wired in series with the evaporator fan motor, but wire connections are different which means I would have to cut wires and splice them together with wire nuts plus I think the evap. fan motor is DC and the heater is AC. I guess I will just have to keep replacing it every 6 months. Luckly Repair Clinic garantees them for a year.
I hadn't looked that far into it. Sounds like something Whirlpuddle would do though.
It could also fit in Pt #5, the back freezer air duct. This is all a guessing game though. It stinks that service matters has nothing on the topic for my model.
I think it may restrict the air flow if put in #5. You are right though. It is only a guess.
I suppose that your model just hasn't had enough complaints about this problem. that is how they prioritize their fixes. Enough wheels squeak and they get oiled. If there isn't enough wheels they just ignore them. Whirlpuddle has a high tolerance for irritation.
I guess. I will just keep replacing the diffuser assembly til they come up with a permanent answer. Parts are warranteed for a year so they will just keep eating the parts til they figure it out.