Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Dometic RM1350 refrigerator it works fine on ac but

Customer Question
on gas it works at...
I have a Dometic RM1350 refrigerator it works fine on ac but on gas it works at time and it does not relight. The gas lights and then goes out and it keeps doing this until you turn it off or in time it auto shuts off what can do this it's about two years old?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/16/2015
Appliance Technician: The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
The flame sensor has failed. This is usually just due to carbon on the electrodes. If you clean them off it may work again. No guarantees, but it is cheaper than replacing the electrodes.
Please see the picture at the URL below. It indicates where you need to clean. Just use some steel wool and shine them up a bit.
http://i60.tinypic.com/28cg020.jpg
If there is anything else I can do for you, or you need additional information, just let me know. I will be happy to answer any follow up questions at no additional cost.
If I have answered your question please, select a positive rating at this time.
Please, understand that you have only made a good faith deposit with the promise that you will transfer a portion of it to my account for my time and knowledge answering your question.
If you do not click on a positive rating I am not compensated for answering your question and the web site retains the full amount of your deposit.
Thank you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**
Smitty, The frig did work for a day and it stop. I did clean it, it was clean already, when it stops it tries to start, it always has a good spark from the electrodes, it continues to spark until you here a big bang from the gas igniting and it does not continue to burn, then it tries to ignite again but the spark is good when it is trying to ignite. You can switch to ac and it works fine and some times you can switch it back to gas and it works fine for a while?
Did not answer the problem
I guess you what to be rated before the problem is fix I can do that but it will not be good. As far as I know that is what you what because I get several emails a day to rate you.
Thank you, ***** ***** I do not want to be rated until your problem is resolved or I have provided the information required to repair your unit.
If cleaning off the thermocouple and spark electrode did not get it to work then unfortunately the thermocouple (flame sensor) has failed. If it is free of carbon deposits and the flame will not stay lit it means that the thermocouple is not sending enough voltage (milivolts) to the gas valve to keep the valve open.
Here is what the service manual says you need to do to diagnose the thermocouple:
"The Thermocouple is a component that extends over the burner assembly so its tip is in the path of the flame. During normal gas operation, the thermocouple should produce 25 to 35 millivolts DC when connected to the lower circuit board. Any reading below 20 millivolts DC could cause erratic gas operation. NOTE : A reading of 20 or less could be caused by low gas pressure, carbon build up or improper thermocouple location. The thermocouple should be centered over the burner and extend over 3 slots. The control board reads negative millivolts DC from the thermocouple and the positive lead goes to the ground terminal on the control board. The lower control has built-in delay when the unit is first turned on. If the lower control reads millivolts in excess of 6 MVDC the control will go into a 30 second gas delay before attempting to light on gas. To test the thermocouple set a digital volt ohm meter to DC millivolts. Put the black lead from the meter to terminal J4 on the control board and the red lead from the meter to J10, or ground (other lead from thermocouple). Start the unit on gas and measure the DC millivolts produced by the thermocouple when the burner lights. The thermocouple should produce 22 to 36 millivolts DC within 45 seconds. If the millivolts are 20 or below erratic operation will occur. Anything below 10 to 13 the control board will not keep the gas valve energized and turn on the check light after the third trial-for-ignition. Approx 6 to 7 minutes."
You can get a new thermocouple from most any RV dealership, major marina, or big rig (Cummins, Peterbuilt, Kenworth, etc.) service center. Dometic does not sell parts directly to the consumer, but any place that repairs Dometic units can order the part for you.
Please understand that the emails you are receiving are automatically generated by the website and not sent by me personally.
If you have further questions please do not hesitate to post them here. I will be happy to answer them for you at no addirtional charge.
Unfortunately the unit does not have a thermocouple it electronic so I do not now what to do
The Dometic RM 1350 series all show a thermocouple in the wiring diagrams, and in the diagnostics. On the control board look for J9 and J10 connections. One goes to ground and the other to the thermocouple. If there are no wires in those positions please let me know.
I have scan a copy of the wiring diagram of the unit it does not have J9 and J10 connections I guess this is a newer unit than the service manual say it is that's why I ask because I read that in the service manual. I can not figure it out I will have to make a appointment with the dealer that is out about a month.