Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Water pumps out the back of my Maytag through some sort of

Customer Question

water pumps out the back of my Maytag through some sort of vent at the top
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? Is the vent on the back of the tub itself or??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

MHW6000XG2 It is a Maytag

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK that vent on the back of the tub is your overflow vent. If you have too many clothes in the washer or there are too many suds, the water and suds will come out that vent on the outside of the tub. You need to change your detergent to something that creates less suds (I recommend using the powder version of Tide HE). Whatever detergent you use must be HE (high efficiency) detergent for this model washer, but not all HE detergents are created equal and some will suds more than others. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello. We primarily only wash on small load and use small amounts of he detergent. This problem occurs sporadically and is still occurring.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
There is nothing you can do but change detergents then because that detergent is creating too many suds. That is the ONLY reason water comes out of that vent hole unless you're overloading the unit which you say you're not doing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there a reason why it would start happening all of a sudden when I have been using the same detergent for years?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Not really no. Maybe detergent has built up over time and now it's just too much? Hard to say