Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an amana fridge, fan runs but the compressor is not

Customer Question

I have an amana fridge, fan runs but the compressor is not kicking on
could it be the capacitor and relay
when I check the resistance on the capacitor it is open
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
So you can't check the resistance of the capacitor unfortunately. You actually need a multimeter that can check micro Ferads (µF) to see if you have the correct amount based on what is printed on the side of the capacitor. But capacitors rarely if ever fail. If the fans are turning on then you know all the thermostats are working which leaves you either either a bad compressor or a bad overload relay. There is no way to test the overload relay to know for certain if it's working properly or if it's weak but sometimes you can remove the overload relay from the side of the compressor and shake it and if it rattles then it means it's bad. On these Amana units, the compressor is usually the part that fails I'm sorry to say but since you can't replace the compressor yourself you can always try to replace the overload relay and see where you stand.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?