Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We have a Viking VCSB420 Refrigerator/Freezer and have had

Customer Question

We have a Viking VCSB420 Refrigerator/Freezer and have had problems with the freezer sporadically failing to cool to freezing temperatures--it thaws and then will start freezing again. We have replaced several thermostats and a thermistor in the freezer section but still have not fixed the problem. Refrigerator now is not cooling adequately as well (holds at about 50 degrees) and Freezer continues to sporadically freeze/thaw. We hate to have to replace the unit. Any ideas? Chuck in Iowa
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! When it fails to cool well, if the evaporator is frosted all the way from top to bottom, the issue is likely with the air flow. If you look at the evaporator coil in the freezer when it is not cooling, located behind the rear wall in the freezer, is the frost all over the coil or only in one small area? It sounds like you may have a restriction in the cooling system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi! We still need to check the evaporator coil. I will get back to you as soon as we can accopmplish this. Chuck

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
You bet, thank you!