Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I want to force my dishwasher to drain or somehow reset the…

Customer Question
I want to force my...
I want to force my dishwasher to drain or somehow reset the whole thing. it will run through a cycle but there's water left in the bottom
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/12/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
To force the dishwasher to drain you just have to start a cycle, then press cancel and it will go through a 2 minute drain and cancel sequence. As for the dishwasher not draining properly, you need to uninstall your dishwasher and drain all the water out that you can manually. Remove the drain hose and blow through it to see if it's clear. If it's not, then you want to replace that drain hose that comes directly off the drain pump because there is a back flow preventer inside this hose that failed all the time stopping the dishwasher from draining very well or at all. You can try to stick a flat head screwdriver through that 90 degree angle to get the backflow preventer un-stuck if you wanted to try that as well. Sometimes that will get the flap working again.If the drain hose checks good, then remove the drain pump and look for and debris that may be blocking the drain pump impeller. Put everything back together and re-install the dishwasher to try again. If the dishwasher still doesn't drain, then you'll want to check 120 volts with a multimeter to the drain pump when it should be draining. If you're not getting 120 volts to the drain pump then you need a new control board inside the door. Assuming you are getting 120 volts, your drain pump would just need to be ordered and replaced. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

I did do what you said to get the dishwasher to drain but it still had water in the bottom. I called a service company that we have a contract with to make an appt and the first thing they asked is if we recently installed a garbage disposal. We had. There was a plug left in the disposal that should have been removed. That plug was on the other side of the drain hose and was preventing water from being drained. Thank you

If you had disconnected the drain hose as I suggested and tried to blow through it, you would have been able to track down the clog as well, or in this case the disposal plug.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc