Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Samsung Washer that is smoking during the spin cycle.

Customer Question
What could be the problem?...
I have a Samsung Washer that is smoking during the spin cycle. What could be the problem?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/12/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 3 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Is there any noise associated with the smoke or do you just see smoke? Is the smoke not visible?
There isn't really a noise associated with the problem. The smoke is visible and has an unpleasant smell. My wife has noticed that in the past she has had to run the spin cycle more than once due to the clothes or towels being too wet. There has been times where the washer has shook very bad and thumped...but I assumed that was due to the load being off balanced.
yeah, I don't think the shaking and thumping would be related. So what you'll want to do first is remove everything from the basket and spin the basket by hand. Does it spin smoothly? Also does the odor smell like electrical burning or rubber burning?
The basket does spin smoothly. I don't know the difference between the two smells.
rubber burning smell is like when someone peels out the wires on their car. An electrical burning smell is a much more sharp type of smell. But if the basket is spinning smoothly then you may have a bad seal wearing out or possibly something is rubbing on the front rubber door seal from overloading the washer. Try to run the cycle with no clothes and if the odor goes away, just don't overload the washer and you should be fine. If the odor is there then possibly the main seal on the back is going out but you'd need a technician to come out and look at the unit because this model has no easy fix due the face that it's a direct drive unit and has no belt.
I'm thinking it may be the drain pump, but how do you know if it's bad? What are some signs to look for?
Usually it would be quite noisy and you'd get an electrical burning smell.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?