Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Why won't my maytag microwave turn on

Customer Question

Why won't my maytag microwave turn on
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker inside the cavity of the microwave. Also, are there no signs of life at all? No lights or anything? And do you have a multimeter to test any fuses by chance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
mmv5207aas yes i have display lights and timer goes no multimeter
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK perfect. So if the timer counts down and the display works but the oven just doesn't actually run, it means that one of your 3 door switches has failed. Without a multimeter you can't test to determine which one has failed so I might just order all 3 from Repairclinic.com and return the ones you don't need? The top and bottom switch happen to be the same which is part number(###) ###-#### The middle switch is part number(###) ###-####so you can just order one of each and swap the top and bottom one out if needed. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are only two switch holes and I believe the bottom one is the only that has the limit switch in it. I had this trouble before and it started working on its own last time.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
There are 3 switches. The bottom one has 2 switches next to each other. But even if it starts and stops working, that isn't a permanent solution. The issue will continue to happen until you replace the faulty switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I don't see a switch in the hole on top and when i stick something in the bottom one it sounds like a switch. where is the third one you are speaking of. I don't think this is a switch
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is only one limit switch on the bottom where the door latch goes into, there are only two holes all together.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Remove the bracket if you don't see all the switches. All 3 switches are attached to that plastic bracket.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so they are all in the bottom hole? and how do i remove the plastic
bracket?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
No they are not. There are 2 screws coming in from the front frame of the microwave. Remove those 2 screws. With the control panel to the right removed, you can then pull the bracket out from behind the front frame of the microwave and pull it through the opening to see all the switches.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do i remove the control panel
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what you were looking at before, but you can't see any switches without removing the control panel. To remove the control panel you remove the screws going through the top of the upper plastic vent panel. Then remove the vent panel. That will expose a screw at the top of the control panel. Remove the screw at the top of the control panel and unplug the microwave. Now the control panel will slide up about 1 inch and hinge forward and down.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?