Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We purchased a Maytag Centennial MVWC200BWO a little over a…

Customer Question
We purchased a Maytag Centennial...
We purchased a Maytag Centennial MVWC200BWO a little over a year ago. We have had ample time to validate that our clothing is being damaged in this washer. Almost every load of clothing comes out with either snags or actual tears in the fabric; this includes off the rack clothing that has never been worn. We have never experienced this with another washing machine. How do we fix this? We are already under-loading, using the super size water level, and wrinkle control settings.
Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/11/2015
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Hello, this is Dave. I have a question and then we will get to looking for the problem. Have you confirmed that the clothes are damaged before they get into the dryer? New top load washers don't do well if loaded with extremely large loads. Are most of you loads loaded to the top?
Yes, we have confirmed on multiple occasions that the clothes are not damaged before we load them. We load a a variety of load sizes, from small to large, so not all of them are loaded to the top.
Okay, I just wanted to be sure it was the washer and not the dryer. Here is a trick you can try if there is a burr somewhere that the clothes are catching on. Take an old nylon stocking and ball it up and slowly rub all the surfaces inside the washer. If it snags on a bad spot you can make a repair. On plastic you can trim or sand down the spot and about the same on the tub. If the washer is okay then check the dryer. Let em know what you find.
Any luck locating a burr inside the washer?
Hello. We have been traveling, thus my delayed response.
I did use a nylon to rub the entire interior of the washer - great suggestion, thanks. At several locations if I rubbed firmly I could get minor snags in the nylon, but no large tears similar to what we are experiencing with the clothing. Upon palpation, there were continuous rough edges on the plastic parts (agitator and upper portion of tub) but no single obvious burr. I also noted that the design of the agitator on this model is very different than I have seen before; the spiral leafs (don't know what they are called) that project out from the center of the agitator have long, narrow gaps between them and the agitator stem, in which clothing may get caught.
Suggestions?
Thank you.
Hello, since there is not an obvious burr I wonder if there is enough water? This is not easy to determine bout will cause more abrasion. What you can do is use the fabric softer setting all the time and that will bring in more water on the rinse cycles. See if that helps.
Do you still need help?
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave