Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE JBS16S1 with the original clock/timer that doesn't

Customer Question

I have a GE JBS16S1 with the original clock/timer that doesn't work. I purchased a replacement from SearsPartsDirect.com after comparing info from multiple repair sites to be sure it was the correct part. The pin-outs on the old and new control boards don't correspond and the instructions that came with the new part are less than useless. AppliancePartsPros.com, SearsPartsDirect.com, and another similar site that I contacted hoping for some step-by-step instructions that actually applied to this particular situation told me to hire an appliance repair person to make the change for me. Financially, that isn't an option for me. Can someone PLEASE give me step-by-step details of what wiring changes I need to make in order to get the new controller working? I can send pictures of the current wiring (with the old controller) if it will help an expert to see where I'm starting from to know what changes I'll need to make.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! You should have 5 wires to your old clock, two inputs from the line voltage supply wires, a neutral and the two outputs. The link below is to the information regarding that clock with pictures of the back of your old clock and the back of the new clock. Is this the same instruction sheet that came with the part you received? Pictures of your old clock would help.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/8ie624j8gdaja9d/wb19x10008.pdf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Those are the instructions that came with the new control, but my old clock doesn't look like the one in the instructions. I've added pictures. The first 2 are of the old clock, still installed. The 3rd image is of the neutral wires. There are 3 of them, ganged together. They were held together with plain old duct tape when I first found them. I cleaned off the glue residue and replaced the duct tape with high-heat heat shrink tubing. The rest of the images are close-ups and distance images of the wiring for the whole range. Please let me know if you need better close-ups or have other questions.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Your model uses the clock only as a clock and a timer, you don't have any timed bake or self clean settings. So, you will need to connect the red wires to the L1 connector on the new clock and the white bundle on the N terminal. Make sure the jumper is removed on the new clock, per instruction sheet. Those are the only two wires you will connect. The wires to the left of the clock (facing from the rear) are to the thermostat and are not part of the clock. They will not be removed from where they are. Only remove the red and white connectors from the clock motor terminals.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmm. That's what I tried the first time. I just tried it again, too, just to be sure. Pictures are attached. No chance I fried the new clock since I always turn off power at the panel before unplugging the range and then working on it. Then plug it back in before turning power back on at the panel again. I suppose it's possible to have received a bad controller right out of the box, but it seems so unlikely. Is there something else I can try?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
If you measure 120 VAC between the red and white wires as you have them connected now, the new clock is bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Measured 120 VAC, contacted SearsPartsDirect.com to have them replace the part they sent me with (hopefully) one that works this time. New clock will be here in 12 days. May I contact you again if things don't work right with the new part? Or would it be a new question at that point?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
You may contact me at anytime at no additional charge! Just post right back to this thread and I will be alerted to your reply. Thank you!