Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a kitchenaid kfis20xvms10 fridge that suddenly acts

Customer Question
as if the controls are...
I have a kitchenaid kfis20xvms10 fridge that suddenly acts as if the controls are locked. Holding the control lock button does not do anything. I can access the menu and it tells me that Sabbath and Vacation modes are off. I took the water filter out and placed the bypass cap on, but it still will not dispense water or allow me to change it to dispense ice. Additionally, I am concerned that the freezer and main compartment are not cooling properly, but must confirm with a thermometer. Is there anything I can do to reset the controls?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/11/2015
Appliance Technician: Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
If the control has gotten a glitch in the software ,just like you computer at home ,you will have to power it down for 5 min to kill any stored memory then power the unit back up .
I recommend either unplugging the unit or just simply turn the circuit breaker off for the 5 minutes then back on and see it it did reset the control board.
Let me know either way please.
Woody,I already did so before posting the question. I forgot to mention that. Unfortunately, after leaving it off for 15 minutes and plugging it back in, the situation did not change. From your post its sounds like any backup capacitors will be drained quickly, and that leaving it unplugged for longer will probably not make a difference. I understand that there is a control board and a high voltage board in there. I'm guessing that at a minimum I'm going to have to replace the control board unless there is anything else I can do. If I have to go that route is there anything I can do to narrow the problem down between the control board or high voltage board?
Ok if you can access the menu when you press and HOLD the lock /unlock does it blink or anything that may show that is recognizing the button is even being pressed?
And about 95% of the time it is the High voltage board it is the brain of the refrigerator.
I replaced the control board with a W10312696 part, which is confirmed as an acceptable replacement on multiple websites. However, the instructions to program the board do not make sense. It states to press and hold the Door Alarm Keypad and then the Temperature Down Keypad. However, I do not have any of those selections on the front of the fridge. My model is a KFIS20XVMS10 model from 2011. The front panel has two buttons to the left of the LCD display and two to the right. Additionally, I have "Cooling Off", "Locked", "Water", "Dispenser", "ICE" and "Light" button below the LCD display. Holding the top Left button and then the bottom right button changes the mode from PE0 000 to PE ICE and then toggling the two right buttons switch between PE ICE and PE H20. However, I can't figure out how to start entering the code. I do have the code from the Serial Number tag. How do I get the code into the board?
John, Home Appliance Technician