Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

How do I make the water stop coming out in the door dispenser of my GE

Customer Question

How do I make the water stop coming out in the door dispenser of my GE refrigerator after changing the filter?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.
Air enters the dispenser system when you replace the filter so try to pour 2 gallons of water out of the dispenser to expel all the excess air and the water should stop. If the water doesn't stop and it just keeps pouring out in full force constantly, then you have a bad electronic water valve that would need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We did run about 2 gallons thru the door dispenser after replacing the filter. The water shut off fine each time we stopped to empty the container. We then filled a glass with water and the water didn't shut off although after a while it slowed to a trickle. I tried it again with the same results. I then removed the new filter and put in the old filter. Once again the water would not stop and it didn't even slow to a trickle but kept going full force. Only by removing the water filter did the water stop coming out. I think it's too coincidental that an electrical part failed at the exact same time we replace the filter.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If it slows down to a trickle then the problem is an electrical part, it means you have an air leak somewhere. Possibly with the water filter receptacle itself, but there is an air leak in your water system. If it occurred when replacing the filter you'd want to replace the filter receptacle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So can I prove that it's an air leak by unplugging the refrigerator either before or during getting water from the fridge door?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Yes. When the unit is supposed to shut off and it keeps running you can unplug the refrigerator and if the water keeps coming out it's an air leak.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll give it a shot now
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
ok.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Put the filter in and was ready to test it but now we can't get water to come out at all.....and the filter was filled with water before trying. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That would definitely be the filter receptacle not allowing water through so I'd replace the receptacle. Below is a link to the part you need to order and replace. CLICK HERE for filter receptacle
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So water does go to the ice maker (I just heard it fill) which means it IS coming out of the filter receptacle. I disconnected the line at the bottom of the refigerator (at the blue connector) and pushed the paddle to get water to flow but nothing came out. Not sure if that means anything. Any other thoughts?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That would really only leave the electronic water valve on the back or a frozen water reservoir against the back wall behind the crisper drawers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tyler. Sorry, but I really didn't get much help from you and had to diagnose things without guidance on how to narrow things down. I figured out the valve thing myself by disconnecting the valve outlet water lines and then pushing the paddle in the door. Since water was going into the valve but not coming out, I narrowed it to the valve. Given that, I cant rate you higher than a 2. But thanks for being responsive. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I told you from the beginning that the valve was the problem and you were the one changing conditions and tell me me you find it hard to believe something electrical will fail by replacing the filter. I'm sorry you have an issue with your refrigerator but all you did and tried to do the entire time was discredit everything I was trying to tell you was wrong from the beginning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yep.....and when I gave you more info, here's what you said "If it slows down to a trickle then the problem is an electrical part, it means you have an air leak somewhere. Possibly with the water filter receptacle itself, but there is an air leak in your water system. If it occurred when replacing the filter you'd want to replace the filter receptacle.". Then when the water wouldn't come on, here's what you said "That would DEFINITELY be the filter receptacle not allowing water through so I'd replace the receptacle". p.s. I added the all caps.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
yes because you kept changing your information so my answer also changed as the information you gave me changed. Have a nice day.