Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a KitchenAid Model KSS048QMB01 side by side. 3 months

Customer Question

I have a KitchenAid Model KSS048QMB01 side by side. 3 months ago the ice maker crapped out and was replaced. Only thing was it didn't produce ice. Tech said to unplug for 24 hours, as he suspected the feed line to the ice maker might be the problem as it sometimes ices-up. After following his advise, the ice maker worked fine... until it suddenly stopped producing ice last week. I thought perhaps it might be the water inlet valve might be the issue, so I ordered a new one (which I'm set to install). A prior posting by you suggested the filter as a problem. I have had water leaking out from under the frig... could that also be the problem? I do have a new one on hand. Should I install both and see if that does the trick?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If you're getting water leaking under the refrigerator, then it sounds like your fill tube has frozen once again. This fill tube freezes when the water valve doesn't seal off completely. Once it freezes solid, it creates back pressure and water will leak form the valve when the icemaker cycles. So if both of these issues are related, you'll need to thaw out the fill tube above the icemaker by unplugging the unit for 24 hours or using a hair dryer and thawing it out. Disconnect the water line from the valve below the refrigerator which goes up to the icemaker and blow through it to make sure it's clear. Once it's clear, replace the valve and you should be good to go again.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?