John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Replaced with new control panel on Kitchenaid KSS42QVS00 panel

Customer Question

replaced with new control panel on Kitchenaid KSS42QVS00 panel still flickers but will not start up. Hear clicking sound as compressor starts for seconds and shuts down with panel still flickering
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
Which control did you just replace? Part number would be great.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
call(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Part number is ***** ASSY(###) ###-####
May I have the FULL model number please.
And I do not participate in the live car option.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
KSSC42QVS00
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any answers yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Extended DIY Guidance + Provide Instructions, Diagram etc. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
ok so the part number you have given as being replaced is only a user interface.
what was the original issue that you thought this interface was faulty?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The original control panel would only flicker on and off. The reefer/frzr would start for a few seconds and then shut down intermittently and then finally not work at al---go dark with a buzzing sound. It wouldn't maintain temps and the panel would sometimes show no power at all. The is a clicking noise at the compressor housing at this time like a starting contactor or capacitor is not working properly.
ok so then if the compressor goes on and off it is not a user interface issue it sounds more like the main control board.
It also id what powers the interface display.
Doe you have a Volt -Ohmmeter to be able to test the main control board up on top of the unit?.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No But I mat be able to borrow one, Getting at the control board may be a problem.Could it be that the doors have been open too long?
the control board is easy to get to just remove the grill above the unit .
And no having the door open too long will give you a door alarm light and an audible beeping ,but it will not effect the operation of the compressor.
On the main control board find the J7 -3 red connector and test it to the J7-2 Red /White and see if you have a CONSTANT 120 VOLTS if you loose voltage when the compressor shuts off the issue is the main control board .it the voltage is constant then we will need to test the compressor inverter control board.
Let me know what you find .