John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Kitchenaid undercounter icemaker model #kuic15prxs1

Customer Question

I have a Kitchenaid undercounter icemaker model #kuic15prxs1 that stopped making ice about 2 months ago. I cleaned it twice, each time it began making ice again as expected but stopped making ice within days. A tech came and replaced the bin thermometer and another thermometer. The icemaker began making ice as expected but with 4days again, it stopped making ice and was making an alarm type of sound. He returned and replaced the water valve. The unit began making ice but within two days it quit again and is now making the same alarm sound. There is a small amount of ice in the bottom. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
)Ok this unit has no alarm or even a buzzer on it.
Can you tell where the noise seems to be coming from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a loud sound coming from inside the unit from the back. It is cyclical, meaning it buzzes for a few minutes and then stops, but begins again.
are you able to pull the unit out and unplug the icemaker from the condensate pump under the ice maker in the rear and then plug the ice maker cord directly into an outlet to see if you still hear this noise?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am a novice at this but I did pull the unit out from under the counter and unplug a plug from a pump and plugged it directly into an outlet. It still makes the same noise.
ok so you will need to try and pin point the noise as to where and what is making the noise.
then we can proceed !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The sound if most definitely coming from inside the unit (the refrigerated part). The sound is much louder once you open the door as opposed to listening to the back of the unit. There is vibration you can feel in the parts that are attached in the top back inside of the unit (as opposed to the ice cutting part at the top of the front of the cabinet). I'm sorry to be so vague.
ok so your unit has a water circulating pump and a drain pump in the rear behind the cutting grid id the water circulating pump and the drain pump is down lower inside of the bin area .
when you hear the noise do you have water running over the plate behind the cutting grid ?
and did you have this noise when the service tech was in your home also?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No water was running over the plate behind the cutting grid that I can detect. Yes, this noise was present when the tech was here.
ok would you say that water is coming into the unit or not?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No water that we can detect. There is only some melting ice in the bin. Is there some way to troubleshoot the inlet valve? The tech put a new valve on Friday. Could it go bad that fast?
no the valve should no go bad that fast if the original valve was actually bad.
Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter to be able to do any testing on the unit?
and know how to use the meter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This unit is at my office. I have access to a volt-ohm meter but will have to bring it from home tomorrow. Will that work?
yes when you have the meter remove the bottom kick plate .
and you can test to see if you have voltage going to the water inlet valve or not.
turn the unit on the water inlet valve should be getting 120 volts A/C for 3 minutes before the freeze cycle starts ,if you are getting voltage then the valve is in dead bad.
if you are not getting any voltage then the control board is the issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I will get back to you tomorrow.
ok no problem, till then!