Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My refrigerator quit yesterday. The light comes on when the…

Customer Question
My refrigerator quit yesterday....
My refrigerator quit yesterday. The light comes on when the door is opened. The two temp controls for the freezer or frig are not on. I can switch from freezer to frig and nothing happens.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/5/2015
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 3 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it?
We need to test voltages to the electronic control board?
Yes I have one and know how to use it.
I will get it out of my shop
ok I got it and a 1/4 inch drive set too
Ok Great!
on the freezer control board.
Let`s test terminal #1 gray wire to terminal #3 brown looking for 120 volts A/c
this is the control voltage to the control to run the freezer .
where do I access the freezer control board? I think it is the panel inside the unit I need to take off right?
ok I have the panel opened in the inside where the switches are. I just discovered the freezer switch works and it will go in to freezer mode. when I switch back to refrig nothing
and the compressor just kicked on also
ok How cold is it in the unit ?
Ok The compressor kicking on is that in refrigerator mode?
It is warm , no the compressor kicking on is in freezer mode. I switch back to refrig and it goes and the fan also. and the display does on come on for the refrig.
display does not come on, sorry typo.
It is starting to get cold with it set to freezer.
I found a gray and brown wire going the selector switch and they are both hot 120 volts each
so is it control board for the refrigerator side that is bad/?
so are you busy, it does seem like the refrigerator control board is bad to me. is there any thing else I should check before ordering the part?
hey are you still there
Well since the freezer control board is working I am just going to order a refrigerator control board. talk to ya later.
Sorry I`m not on line 24 hours a day!
Yes it the unit will operate in the freezer mode ,but would or will not operate in the refrigerator mode then I would replace the refrigerator control .