Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Dishwasher is not cleaning dishes. At the end of the cycle,

Customer Question

Dishwasher is not cleaning dishes. At the end of the cycle, all of the soap is puddled up on the floor inside the dishwasher.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dave. This sounds like there is no water or almost no water entering the dishwasher. Start the cycle and after a few minutes, open the door and let me know how much if any water is in the bottom.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is some water, but not a lot. Not enough to reach the pooled up detergent that has run from the dispenser onto the floor of the unit.
Okay, that is not enough water. Are you on a well? There may be sand and sediment in the inlet valve screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, in the city
Well this could still be the issue. Does the water ever get up to the edge of the float? The float is the round part in the right front corner that you can lift up and down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just the bottom edge. It does not seem to be lifting the float. The float is movable and not stuck of you need to know that.
The float should not lift unless the water pressure is very high. Turn a cup upside down and run it a while to see if any water gets into the cups while running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Water gets into the cups but I don't know if that's just the hot water vapor collecting or its from the spray
If you only run it for one minute you should be able to tell if you are getting good water pressure. Also set the spray arm at front enter and after a few seconds of run open the door to see if it moves.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I just ran it again. This was either the 5th or 6th time and now it seems to have plenty of water and be running normal. How could it have fixed itself?
Sometime problems are intermittent. Run a few loads and see what happens.