Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We just replaced the water filter in our Kitchen Aid and now…

Customer Question
We just replaced the water...
We just replaced the water filter in our Kitchen Aid and now water coming from the spout is slow and there is a rumbling then hissing sound coming from the filter. IT stops when you let go. Water shoots out quickly at first then comes out very very slow. We have tried flushing and re-installing but same thing every time. Any suggestions as to what it may be? I'll also add the water dispenses perfectly when the Bypass Cap is on.
Thanks.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/3/2015
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 3 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If the bypass cap is working, the issue is with the new filter. If you are certain it is installed and locked into place, the new filter is bad.
Thanks Kelly, we are going to take it back to the store and replace for another filter and ail try again. Can I leave this discussion open until we get the new filter installed again?
Oh, of course! Just reply right back here if you have any other questions. You are not buying the generic replacement filter, are you?
Great! Hopefully the new filter will work.
No we bought the Kitchen Aid filter that's recommended for our model.
Okay, great! Thank your!
filter just got here and gonna try to install the new one
Excellent, keep me posted! Make sure it locks into place and you run at least a gallon of water through to flush the air out!
should we fill the filter up with water first?
No, just install it and then dispense at the door a gallon or so.
okay and should the water flow be normal or slow?
It will be fast at first until the air flushes through then will decrease.
okay because this is what we did last time and the water flow was nowhere near nomad…very very slow
installing now
If the flow is slow, it is from a pressure problem from the house supply or the valve is faulty, but neither would make the filter leak.
the water was flowing fine until we tried to replace the filter. THen if we put the cap on it flows perfectly normal again. My husband is installing it right now. Give me a few minutes to see what happens
Sure, keep me posted. The flow was probably low because the filter was not locking into place and opening the valve in the housing all the way.
nope, still doing the same thing. You can hear a hissing sound coming from the filter every time you push the button to dispense.
The filter locked into place, couldn't turn anymore. Water came splashing out then went to a slow flow. If you put the cap on and push the water button the flow is completely normal.
and our old filter never made a sound when we pressed the water button.
Have you allowed for a gallon of water to run through the filter?
yes
a giant burst of air and water comes out at first almost like something is getting blown out and then it goes to almost a trickle
we are using a every drop filter #4 which is the one recommended for Kitchen Aid.
It makes no sense that the bypass cap is working but the filter is not. The housing may be faulty but would not allow the bypass cap to work. Are you using filter part number UKF8001?
yup we sure are.
So it looks just like the one at the URL below?
http://www.rcappliancepartsimages.com/dbImages/00003566/01072652.jpg
My husband said they had another brand of filter at Home Depot. He's gonna go exchange it for that one and see what happens.
yes looks like that one but made by every drop
here's the link to the filter we are using https://everydropwater.com
The filters you are using are "knock offs" and are very common to have issues. You have to use the correct filter. They are expensive, about $55, but you now see what happens when you use the generic ones.
The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Filter/UKF8001/1446373?rcaid=1000054
I called Whirlpool/Kitchen aid and that is what they recommended and the ones they sell on their site. It was $45.00 dollars. This is NOT the right filter they suggested?
The link to the filter you sent me does not list KItchen Aid. It will still work?
Everydrop if manufactured by Whirlpool….I'm not sure how that would be the wrong filter
Your model calls for the UKF8001, per the manufacturer's own model look up. If they are recommending another part, it is by a third party company. I have never and will never support using aftermarket parts or accessories.
We are using UKF8001. It is what they recommended.
As you can see when you click on the filter screen, it takes you to a new website. Whirlpool may recommend those in the retail division but they are not OEM filters. I am going to place your question back to the list in case another has a differing opinion.
okay. This is the first I've heard of OEM. Can this type of filter not be bought from local stores? If this next filter dose the same thing then we will order from the website link you sent. I wish they had explained all this when I called them.