Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a 2006 model EL87TRRRVOO refrigerator with out the freezer

Customer Question

I have a 2006 model EL87TRRRVOO refrigerator with out the freezer compartment. A couple of weeks ago it started freezing without the thermostat being moved, now it doesn't want to get cold. It seems as though the compressor is working as the refrigerant lines are getting hot and cold as they should and the fan is working.
Any Ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today. So the first thing you need to do is check the frost build up on the evaporator coils. You'll need to remove all the shelves and food inside the freezer and remove the screws going into the lower back panel INSIDE the freezer. Is the fan behind this panel running? And if you look at the silver coils are they lightly frosted from top to bottom? Packed with frost? Some frost on top but not on bottom? etc...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this refrigerator does not have a freezer compartment, just refrigerator
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I know that, the evaporator is usually in the freezer on combo units so I said the freezer a couple of times just by mistake, but just remove the lower back panel inside the unit to look at the fan and coils. Sorry about the confusion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no frost, fan running ,coils not cold
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could thermostat cause this?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK that's a problem. The coils should be lightly frosted from top to bottom. If you have lines getting hot and cold by the compressor then unfortunately it sounds like you have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor. Unfortunately you'd need a technician to check the freon pressure to determine if you have a freon leak or a bad compressor. A freon leak costs about $350 and a new compressor is about $550 or so normally. If the thermostat were bad, the fans wouldn't be running at all. The thermostat cuts power to the compressor as well as the fan motors so it shuts everything down once it thinks the temperature has been reached, then it turns everything back on when it thinks it needs to cool back down. So no the thermostat can't cause the issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my problem is we live out on a ranch and can't find anyone to come or even haul it to
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what to say because this is not an issue you can fix yourself. It requires a lot of specialty tools and a license to work on the freon system. I'm sorry about the bad news but to repair this unit you would need a technician so the only other option is to get a new refrigerator.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have some tools as I do all the work on my equipment air conditioning units
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
It wouldn't matter even if you had a set of $1500 torches which you need as well as a de-burring tool, freon gauges and everything else you need to complete this task, you need a license to work on the unit which you do not have.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If you did have a license you would know exactly what needs to be done to fix a freon leak or replace the compressor and I can not walk you through such a task.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?