Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I need help diagnosing and fixing my maytag washing machine…

Customer Question
I need help diagnosing and...
I need help diagnosing and fixing my maytag washing machine model MVWC360AW0. I don't have a manual. It won't complete a cycle and makes a weird noise when agatating
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/3/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Since you're getting a weird noise during agitation, it sounds like your transmission has either failed, or the pulley bolt has loosened causing the teeth on the pulley to grind a bit in the beginning of the cycle. My guess would be the transmission is going bad since the noise goes away after a few minutes. To determine which one is bad just unplug the washer and tip it backwards a bit. There is a plastic cover on the bottom of the tub hiding the large plastic pulley that the belt goes around. Remove the bolts holding this cover and then remove the cover. Now you can see the large pulley. Try to tighten the center bolt if it's gotten loose. If it won't tighten or the sound remains, the transmission would need to be replaced. That's quite a major job I'm afraid. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
I'm more concerned with not completing a cycle. Would this do that? It goes from rinse to wash and just sits there. I know there's a diagnostic test you can run but I don't have the book with instructions or codes
When you fix the noise it should fix the other issue unless you have 2 problems. So I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator. There is an actuator motor below the tub that switches the shifter next to the motor. To access this part, you need to unplug the washer, tip the washer backwards, and remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. Remove the screws going into the actuator and replace the actuator. Below is a link to the actuator if you want to replace it.\ CLICK HERE for actuatorNow, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off)2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.a. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. d. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. Now you are in diagnostics. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START. Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting.
The code is sensing and wash flashing together and then done flashing alone
That's a long fill error code meaning your washer thinks it's taking too long to fill. If the washer stops while it's filling then check the screens on the back of your washer and make sure you have good water pressure from the fill hoses. If so, then replace the electronic water valves.
I think it does take to long to fill in hot washes which is the one I just did. Would that cause it to not complete a cycle and just sit in the wash setting with soaking clothes? Or is that what you described before?
Yes it could if it takes too long to fill it just shuts down instead of flooding your house.
Oh haha that makes perfect thanks... How do I replace the electric water valves?
Below is a video that shows you how for the most part. CLICK HERE for video Your model won't have screws on the back of the control panel it has 2 metal spring clips below the control panel on the right and left side that you need to push back to release and then the control panel hinges up and backwards.
Ok seems simple enough to do shouldn't be a problem...where can I buy the electronic water valve? Thanks man
You can order the part in the link below if you'd like. CLICK HERE for valve
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc