Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a residential trash compactor 12" that needs repair.

Customer Question

I have a residential trash compactor 12" that needs repair. it is about 12 years old, Model GCG950-0. the top drive gears does not turn on the motor shaft, but the motor seems fine. What are my options! It is built-in! Jerry Kandel
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.So up top where the shaft is located, there is a trunnion nut which a corkscrew shaft goes through and this trunnion nut strips out. That will cause the motor to turn but the gear will not turn. You need to remove the control panel and panels above the front door to access the trunnion nut that you need to replace. Below is a link to the nut. Replacing this part can be difficult especially if the bin won't pull out and it screwed into the cabinet/counter. The mounting screws may need to be cut through the cracks around the sides and top of the compactor if the compactor won't just pull out. Custom installs are always hard to deal with so depending on how handy you are, you may need a technician to perform the repair. CLICK HERE for trunnion nutYour old nut may be plastic because GE changed it to a die cast metal after so many of the plastic ones stripped out.