Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

As I was cooking popcorn last night I noticed a plastic burning…

Customer Question
as I was cooking popcorn...
as I was cooking popcorn last night I noticed a plastic burning smell and noticed that there was a burning glow coming from the inside top of the micro wave...I shut down the oven immediately. the stir fan cover had a black spot on it. I touched it and the plastic was melted and there was a hole in this cover. What caused this... I quickly unplugged the microwave and had nightmares that my house was going to catch fire
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/2/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 3 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
So that cover that was melted is called the "wave guide". Usually this occurs from food splattering on it and then the microwaves reacting to one small spot causing it to melt. Just replace the cover and run a cycle and make sure it's all better again. If not, then you would need to replace the microwave because the microwaves from the magnetron are arcing out to things they shouldn't. Below is a link to the cover you'd want to order and replace. CLICK HERE for cover We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?