Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

GE refrig water dispenser not working. water is getting to

Customer Question

GE refrig water dispenser not working. water is getting to the door but not getting through dispenser. valve operates okay. next step is to defrost the water line in the door. how do I get the control panel off and any other suggestions to fix the issue
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! You cannot get to the water line by removing the control panel. It is foamed in place in the door.
This has been a common issue for these refrigerators but is easily remedied. You can use a hair dryer to thaw the line out by heating the back of the dispenser housing from the outside of the refrigerator. Direct the heat to the area behind the dispenser paddle. Be careful so you do not allow it to get hot enough to damage the plastic. Once thawed, you will have restored water flow and normal dispenser operation. To prevent this from happening again, there is a heater kit that can be installed on some models. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
GSH25JFTABB
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! Is the liner in that plastic or metal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean by liner
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, the inside walls of each section, freezer and fresh food.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all plastic
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Bummer, the kit will not work for the plastic liner models. You may need to adjust the freezer temperature up above 5* if it continues to freeze. You will only be able to thaw it at this time. No kit is designed for the plastic liner models.
Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!
Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when I started having problems with this a few years ago the defrosting worked several times and then it didn't work anymore. so are you telling me you can't help me fix this issue permanently and I have to pay $45?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Oh no, of course not. If you have had continued freezing problems, then the insulation in the door has shifted or broken down and the door will need to be replaced. The insulation is blown in and sometimes creates air pockets. Over time, the air pockets will allow the insulation to shift and then will not do well to keep cold air from freezing the water line. The door for your model is available below.
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door/WR78X11708/1266278?rcaid=1000054
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess I will be living without chilled water. $700 is a good down payment for a whole new refrigerator.
Am I going to be charged for this session?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
I agree, it is a bit out of the norm for part pricing! As far as being charged for your answer, do you not feel that the information I have provided and the time to look up the parts and explain the issue is worthy of payment? I know it is not the "magic button" you were hoping to find, but it is very accurate, well researched and comes from many years of experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate your assistance but when I take something to get fixed and it can't be fixed I usually don't get charged. I am retired and on a fixed income. What is the minimum you will accept?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
I have no control over the pricing, you set the value of the question when you posted it. If you don't want to pay, that is up to you. I just do my best to see that my customers get the most accurate information in a prompt and professional manner. You may contact customer service to discuss a refund of your deposit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Kelly
Make it a great week
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.