Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Whirlpool refridgerator with freezer on bottom. Noticing frost…

Customer Question
Whirlpool refridgerator with freezer on...
Whirlpool refridgerator with freezer on bottom. Noticing frost around freezer door, but freezer remains cold. Twice recently, the refridgerator temperature has risen -- so much so that contents had to be removed. It eventually begins functioning normally again. Thermostat set at "4", with maximum setting of "7".
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/1/2015
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 3 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
When you noticed the frost around the door did you by chance happen to look at the rear interior freezer wall to see if it had frost on it?
And does the freezer door or drawer seem to close properly?
The frost appears to be limited to around the door. The first thing I checked was the integretiy of the seal, and it appears fine.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello -- are you there?
Woody -- I need to know if you are comunicating with me. I cannot remain at the computer much longer.
Yes you are not the only customer I`m assisting today And I had to reboot my system.
when you see the frost around the door gasket does the door seem to be sealing all the way around ,because that is prime example of an air leak as if the door was held open just a bit to allow warm air into the unit.
The door definately seals properly. I suspect that it may have been left ajar due to contents obstructing proper closure, for a period of time sufficient to allow for formation of ice crystals.
I have now removed all ice formation, and the door is definately sealed tightly.
ok yes these bottom freezer units have a tendency to have things fall and that will hold the door open just a sliver and allow warm air into the unit.
Les keep an eye on the unit and see if it happens again
Thanks, Woody. I presume that the ice formation was the likely source of the refridgerator malfunction? If that is the likely explanation, I will monitor it for a while.
Yes if you get too much frost on the coil the unit will have problems cooling until it goes into a defrost mode.