John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Just replaced the gasket on the Subzero 550. Fits great.

Customer Question

Hi just replaced the gasket on the Subzero 550. Fits great. Unfortunately, the door will not close properly (all the way). It seems as if the gasket is too thick and binds at the hinge. I checked all around the seal to make sure it was seated properly and it is. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
where the new gaskets is binding you will need to heat it up with a hair dryer to relax the gasket some and an old trick to help the gasket slip on the metal cabinet is to take some baby /talc powder and take a paper towel crumple it up sprinkle the talc on the paper towel and dab the sealing edge of the rubber gasket and it will no longer bind but slide on the cabinet face frame.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great ideas! I just tried both. The talc improved it ever so slightly but the heat didn't change a thing. It's still ajar about a half inch. Is there a way to adjust the door at all?
yes you can loosen the hinge screws to adjust the door uo or down but not in or out .
Where it is still binding push it in place heat it up and leave the door closed for 24 hours if you can so the gasket will set.