Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an induction cook top, PHP900. I need to replace my

Customer Question
I have an induction cook...
I have an induction cook top, PHP900. I need to replace my current, worn out 10" skillet. So far, I have purchased four new 10" skillets, different brands, all labeled induction capable, with magnetic bottoms. Each of the new skillets work fine on the three small burners but do not work on the big burner. (I get a 5, then an E, flashing back and forth, when I turn the burner on.) My current 10" skillet that I want to replace still works on the big burner (as well as all of the small burners), so it is not a problem with the pan size. None of this makes sense!
I hope you can help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/30/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.
So unfortunately your pans just aren't going to work, you would need different pans. The pans may have a magnetic donut or a center magnetic plate but not around the edges or possibly the actual surface that touches the larger burner isn't as much as your older 10" skillet so it won't create a big enough magnetic field to allow you to use the burner or something like that. Either way, cooktop is not detecting a magnetic field near the sensor under the cooktop itself big enough to allow the burner to turn on when it tries to turn the burner on so those pans just won't work. No sense in fighting it, just return the pans and try other pans that might have a stronger magnetic property or a wider flat bottom to cover the surface.
We are on the honor system here.  Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Your answer doesn't make sense. My current 8" skillet works fine on the big burner, my old 10" skillet works fine, but four different new 10" skillets (price range $30 - $150) don't?
Price has nothing to do with how magnetic a pan is. I'm sorry you don't understand why it doesn't work, I tried very detailed to explain why it won't work before and I'll try again but in the end the only thing you need to know is that you need to return the skillets and get a different one. So pondering why or why it does not work is not going to change anything. Your pans aren't creating a strong enough magnetic field. Have you ever tried to stick a magnet to a refrigerator where it barely sticks and on another one it sticks very strong where you can't pull it off? Same concept. Some metals are more magnetic than others and the one you have isn't magnetic enough for whatever reason.
If I've bought the wrong pan four times, why do they work on the other burners but not the big one?
Because the other burners are smaller, they don't need as strong of a magnetic force.
So how do I identify a 10" skillet that WILL work on my burner? I've tried four different skillets already.
It's difficult I know. Many of the skillets that work on induction cooktop will literally say on the packaging "INDUCTION READY". I went through 3 different purchases myself before I found ones that will work on my larger burner (I too own an induction GE cooktop as it was installed in the house I moved into). So I understand the frustration but unless you buy one that specifically says it will work with induction, you just don't know if it'll work until you try. Of course you do want to use a magnet to make sure it sticks to the bottom 1st because it definitely won't work if it has no magnetic property at all.
All four of the skillets I have bought are labeled for induction use. All four are magnetic. The latest one I bought says in big letters "Cuisinart DS Induction" on it. It doesn't work any better than the previous three. I understand what you are telling me, but it hasn't worked. It appears that since your answers have been unhelpful, I need to ask for my money back, please.
I can't control what pans work or don't work on your cooktop. What I am telling you is that the problem is the pan and you need a different pan. Nothing else will solve your problem and that IS helpful because you thought there was a problem with your cooktop so now you can stop looking for an issue with the cooktop
Since it looks like a refund is out of the question, are you allowed to tell me what brand of pan you bought for your big burner?
You are paying for my time which I have given you 32 minutes of and everything I've said is correct. I bought a Swiss Diamond set of pots and pans.
Thank you.
good luck
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc