Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Only the freezer quit working and the fridge is working, are

Customer Question
they separate condensers. It sounded...
Only the freezer quit working and the fridge is working, are they separate condensers. It sounded like a noisy fan but then it got quiet and the freezer doesn't cool.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/29/2015
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
I think you mean separate Evaporators .
And the answer is no!
The only thing that cools the fresh food section is cold air being blown into the section from the freezer.
If you open the freezer wall do you see ant frost or ice on the rear interior freezer wall?
And is the freezer fan running?
I guess it was the freezer fan started making bad noises a couple of weeks ago, since then it stopped making bad noises and then the freezer thawed.
Didnt know if it was an evaporator or fan or what but it sounded like a dieing fan, rpm based noise.
No frost or ice.
Lots of melted ice cream, dripping berries.....
ok and do you see any frost or ice on the rear freezer interior wall ?
And is the freezer fan running?
No frost or ice, fan maybe, I dont feel any wind, you cant see it because its a drawer type freezer, it is making a bit of weak noise.
You are going to have to be able to assist me with these questions
You are my eyes and ears .if you open the freezer door and pull the drawer out can you tell if the freezer fan is running or not?
No good fan heard. Its a sliding drawer freezer on bottom, the fan is in the back wall, when the drawer (not door) is open you cannot put you hand, eyes, or ears in the back of the fridge, I can only hear the sound of a bad weak fan.
the front of the drawer is called the door by the manufacture!
Ok can you pull the unit out away from the wall and remove the rear inspection cover ,and once it is off is the condenser fan running?
You also have a black domed compressor if you fell of it do you feel it vibrating ?
and is the compressor cold or hot to the touch?
Thanks, ***** ***** try.
ok just reply back after checking these things!
The compressor is hot and vibrating.
and what about the fan next to it? is it running?
The fan that blows on the black domed compressor is running, the compressor is hot and vibrating.
ok so to go over everything .
The condenser fan next to the compressor is running the compressor is running and hot to the touch .
You see not frost or ice on the rear interior freezer wall the freezer is not cooling a we are rather sure that the freezer fan is not running is this correct so far?
have I missed anything and do you feel you have left anything out?
And how old is this unit?
Correct, its 2years and 2months old, and to add a bit the refrigerator portion temp seems to be fine, its only a freezer problem.
ok so you either have a solenoid that is faulty of the control board is faulty .
Do you have a Volt -Ohm meter to be able to do any electrical testing ,and know how to use it?
Yes.
ok you will need to pull the unit out away from the wall , and remove the rear inspection square cover on the rear of the unit .
On the main control board you need to find the P13 connector it has four wires a black ,gray ,orange and white unplug the connector you are going to be testing the 3way valve and it`s harness.
So let`s ohm out P13-1 black to P13-3 orange just looking for continuity .
and also ohm out the P13-2 Gray to the P13-4 White also just looking for continuity.
Let me know what you find
It is board #5 in this link
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/W1205208-00001.png
With the fridge unplugged both have continuity, i.e. not open. With the power off/on the noisy freezer started (sounds like a bad fan that I can't see).
I guess its #12 or #13 in this diagram. Not sure they make 13 if it says to call them.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/kitchenaid-refrigerator-parts/model-KFIS29BBWH00/0593/0161000/W1403047/00004.html
13 is the Evaporator fan motor 12 is just a rubber grommet
I would take the rear interior freezer wall out before ordering any part ,because it that fan was not running the rear interior wall should have frost all over it ,and you said it did not .
Sorry I took a lunch break !
There is a bad sound coming from the freezer compartment and the freezer doesn't freeze or get as cold as the refrigerator that works fine. What are freezer only parts that can make bad noises?
refrigerant running through the Evaporator coil that is why I has you test the three way valve or the fan .
If you feel it is the fan Order the fan motor ,but with out you opening the freezer up and at least looking at what is going on .I will not say it is the fan .
That not the way I diagnosis things! I work off of facts.
Ok, now what would you recommend? I dont know what the problem is I was just for the noisy part.
remove every thing out of the freezer and remove the rear interior panel .and #1 see if the noise is actually the fan #2 see if something is causing the fan motor to be noisy . I just hat to have you order the part take the unit apart and find out the part was not even the issue.
Guess I will get a cheap fridge, do you any brands.
....recommend any brands.
I`m trying to understand your reasoning here you seem to just rather want to purchase a new refrigerator ,rather the look to see why or if the noise is the fan! If you feel it is not some think you can do just say so !
Its not just the panel, the door comes off first, then the drawers. then I suppose there is a panel but it looks like the entire freezer box has to come out and I need to keep using the fridge.
not sure what you are calling the freezer box , but yes the drawer does need to come off the tracks all food and baskets and tracks have to be removed just to get the rear interior panel off to be able to get to the fan and other items in the Evaporator section of the freezer .
Welcome to the appliance repair world!
Here is a video showing how the drawer /door and all tracks are removed the video is just to show you how to take the freezer items out and remove the rear interior wall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSiLmJQmzEY
hopefully this will assist you.
John, Home Appliance Technician