Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a kenmore elite quietpak 9. It was operating fine one

Customer Question

I have a kenmore elite quietpak 9. It was operating fine one day and then nothing the next. I have 240 at the outlet continuity in the cable I think, the thermal fuses are both intact. Is there anything else I'm missing?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
So to start, the thermal fuse will not stop the dryer from running or the control panel from illuminating, it'll only stop this dryer from heating. Is the control panel illuminating at all or doing anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No lights illuminate, nothing happens at all, it acts as though it's unplugged even when it's plugged in
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK then that can only be caused by your front interface control board or your main control board mounted to the left side wall. Of course, make sure the power cord isn't shorted where it connects to the back of the dryer, but if that checks good unplug the dryer and remove the screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back, up, and off. Usually the interface control board is the one that fails but you can't test between the two board so you need to make a visual check. The main control board is mounted above the drum to the left side wall. Remove this board and look at the front and back for a black burn mark or something like that. If you don't find anything, then the board is likely fine so you need to replace the front interface control board. If you do see a black burner mark on this power board, then you need to replace this main board. Below is a link to the interface board which is part number 4 in the diagram. Just make sure you get the correct color for your model (4A, 4B, 4C, etc...) CLICK HERE for part breakdown And below is a link to the main board if you need it. CLICK HERE for main board We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok i will check those boards for burns, if the cord was shorted it would be obvious I assume?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Yes it would be quite obvious. It will look like it caught on fire or something like that. As for checking "those boards", there is only one board you are checking and that is the main board. The front interface board is low voltage so when it fails it never actually shows a sign of failing that is visible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok the main board is fine so I assume it must be the front interface, I've already had it replaced once before I guess it's the common fix for this dryer. Thanks for the help
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Aye, unfortunately it is quite common for the dryer to fail in this manner. It usually doesn't even occur after a power outage or anything, they are just poorly manufactured. But if you're certain the dryer is getting 220 volts and the main board doesn't have a burn mark, your interface board will need to be replaced.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?