Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My kitchenaid top loading washer will not spin, agitate, or…

Customer Question
My kitchenaid top loading washer...
My kitchenaid top loading washer will not spin, agitate, or drain. I hear a motor buzzing sound when the lid is down and then it stops when I lift the lid. I checked the motor coupling and the teeth or prongs are in good shape on both pieces but the rubber coupling is cracked and worn looking.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/28/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 3 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
If the washer won't drain then the coupler isn't the source of the problem. The coupler will stop agitation and the spin, but it won't stop the washer from draining. Remove the pump from the front of the motor (just slid it off the shaft), then put the washer into spin and see if it spins. If it now spins then you have something jammed in the pump that you need to remove and then the washer should work again but I'd still replace the coupler if the rubber looks bad. Now on the chance that the motor still won't run even with the pump disconnected, check the red wire going down to the motor and make sure it's not loose. Follow the red wire to a black 4" cylinder. That is your start capacitor. If you have a multimeter with micro Ferads setting (µF) then you can test between the 2 terminals on the capacitor to see if it matches up with the rating posted on the sticker on the outside of the capacitor. If not then just replace the capacitor and see where you stand because if the capacitor isn't the issue, then you need a new motor I'm sorry to say.
I just disassembled the pump and attached hoses to look for clogs. Could not find any from the pump to the outlet at the back of the washer shell. The washer will spin with or without the pump assembly attached. So I'm stumped. Could the pump not be working and pushing water out?
It sounds like the pump is just adding too much friction so you'll just need to replace the pump and get a new one if it works without the pump attached and won't work with the pump attached. Fairly simple but unfortunately you'll need a part at this point.
The drum spins with the pump attached AND without the pump attached. There is a little water in the bottom of the drum that will not drain when the washer is spinning. Yesterday, it filled up with water and would not drain. Today it maybe doesn't have enough water in the bottom to drain?
I assume that when the drum spins the pump is activated to suck the water out. The spindle is operating the spin direction and the pump?
That's either a bad drain pump or you have a blockage somewhere or the drain hose isn't routed properly. You need to make sure that there isn't a blockage in the hose between the tub and pump or from the pump to the drain pipe. If that checks good then make sure your drain hose doesn't go higher than the top of the washer or that will be too high to pump out properly. If all that checks good, you need a new drain pump. As for how the drain pump works, when the motor spins in the direction of spinning, it drains the water out. When the motor reversed and goes in the direction of agitating, it will recirculate the water. As for water in the tub, there should ALWAYS be a little water below the stainless steel basket, but nothing that you should be able to physically see when opening the lid and looking down.
OK, thanks for the help. I checked the drain hoses from the pump to the back of the washer shell where the hose goes out to the sink and there were no clogs. I haven't checked all the way to the sink for clogs. I will do that and make sure the hose is seated properly at the back of the washer.The pump assembly looks so simple. What fails on the pump? I assume something spins inside the pump housing that forces the water out...
It's hard to say what fails but sometimes the impeller gets chewed up or other times a piece of string will wrap around the center shaft of the impeller creating too much friction and causing it to spin slowly.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?