Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I've got a GE side by side built in refrigerator which is having…

Customer Question
I've got a GE side...
I've got a GE side by side built in refrigerator which is having problems. The fresh food side is too cold and no matter what I do to the controls it stays too cold (esp on the bottom drawers). model # *****
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/27/2015
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 3 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! This is a pretty common problem and is usually the result of the damper door breaking and becoming unable to close. The damper assembly is located in the upper left corner of the refrigerator. It is shown as number 367 in the diagram below.

That damper assembly is shown in the pictures below.

Can you get a look at that part and see if the little door appears to be broken or jammed, please? If you find that is indeed the case, the part is available below. As this is a very common problem, an updated service kit has been made and the new part may look a bit different than the one that is in there now.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Damper Kit <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

How do i access the damper? There is a control panel on the top and plastic light strip going down the middle. Do I remove those? How?

Also is there a way to upload a photo?

Give me just a few minutes, please, I will post those instructions.
The page from the service manual below will aid in accessing that damper assembly. The new part also comes with instructions.

graphic

It says remove lite cover as step one, but how do I remove it?

See the page below, sorry, I should have posted it first.

graphic

ok got all that off, but the Styrofoam cover seems to be caulked in place pretty well. do I try to pry it out? looks like I might rip it up if I do that...

It probably will break the styrofoam, can you use a mirror to get a look inside to see if the flapper door is jammed or broken?

You mean use a mirror after I break the styrofoam?

No, to get a look in the opening before you try to remove it. You can also carefully heat the area with a hair dryer that will soften the putty and allow an easier removal without breaking.

Not sure how I could get a look in there with the styrafoam still there...

It looks totally closed up. is there a place to put a mirror?

There is a flapper door that needs to open and close but there has to be an opening in that styrofoam. Can you post a picture of what you see so I can arrow it for you?

I can't see how to do that. All I see is a attachement link that asks for the URL of the photo, no way to attach the photo itself...

The link below will explain how to upload a photo.

CLICK HERE
Thank you! You can remove the plastic cover to the right of that styrofoam. That will expose the damper door.

that requires me to remove the entire center light structure as it is all one piece with that cover. is that correct?

I can't remember on that exact model but I don't think so. What happens when you remove the screws visible in that picture you sent, the ones that secure the cover to the top?
Okay, you may need to use a razor blade and try to cut that silicone on the cover. I would recommend you order the damper and that cover before you do, though. If you don't have them on hand and it does come apart, you will be really freezing in the fresh food compartment until they get delivered.

What if that isn't the issue though? Can I return the part? Could it also be something else is the issue??

Yes, you can return the parts if you order from the company I linked you to. When you select a temperature, say 38* F, does the display show the actual temperature as much colder?

yes

Okay, so the control is recognizing that the temperature is too cold, so that also means that the sensor is working. The damper is a known issue with these. I am very confident that is the issue.

Damper Assembly
<----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

so that web site is also showing this part:

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/b3p4/GE-Refrigerator-Damper-Control-Assembly/WR60X10063/914164?modelNumber=ZIS420NRA&ss=a4b3i485d863597&mr=1

That is not the correct one for your model. The one I linked you to is the one your exact model calls for.

ok and I can come back to you for questions when I start to install it?

Oh, of course. Just reply back here and we just pick up right where we left off. There is no charge for follow up help, even after rating!

Also does the damper kit come with a replacement Styrofoam block or is that separate and if so what's the part #.

It shows it as part of the kit in the Illustrated Parts Lookup at GE. When I look up the styrofoam cover, it crosses to the kit.

so got the part and took the sytrafoam cover off and the damper seems to be closed. Is this right i thought if the fridge was too cold it would be open?

Has the temperature still been too cold? If so, the air has to be coming in from that damper.
Yes still too cold. So I should replace even though it's closed?
Does it appear that the damper door that opens and closes is bound up or broken at all?
Not that I can see...
Could you tell if it was open when you first started removing it? The only other way cold air can get into the fresh food compartment is from the bottom, but if that damper was broken, it would freeze solid the crisper drawers and the rest would remain pretty normal.
When I got the cover off it was closed. Food was frozen everywhere.
I would install the new damper.
What is the purpose of the styrafoam cover?
It directs the air flow.

ok so put in the new damper and loosely put the foam box around it and it is not working.... still too cold. what to do?

Well, you can inspect the lower dampers but if they were not closing, the crispers would freeze solid. Those dampers are in the bottom, behind the lowest crispers.

I looked it seems fine. Food freezes solid everywhere....

I didn't caulk in the styrofoam aroudn the new damper so I could tell it was workind beofre I did it. Could that be it? Anything else?

Sure, if there is any air leak around the damper it is going to allow too much freezer temp air in.

the basic seal seems not bad, I just don't want to calk that whole thing in and then have it not be the issue and not be able to return the $200 part....

I understand, I am not sure what to recommend at this point. If you inspected the lower dampers and they are good, the only other entry point for the air is that damper.