Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a kenmore elite refrigerator model 106.57863801. The…

Customer Question
I have a kenmore elite...
I have a kenmore elite refrigerator model 106.57863801.
The ice dispenser has stopped working.
I would like to have this fixed.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/26/2015
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 3 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
When you open the freezer door does the interior light go on?
and when calling for ice from the dispenser do you hear any dispenser operation noise as if it was trying to run?
The freezer light does come on when I open the door.I do not hear a noise when I depress the dispenser lever.
ok let`s open the freezer door and remove the ice container from the inside of the door then try the ice dispenser can you hear it run then?
If not do you have a Volt -ohm meter and know how to use it do be able to do any testing?
Removed the ice dispenser and don't hear anything when I depress the ice dispenser lever.I have a volt/ohm meter and can use it provided I get specific instructions on what how to test.
ok open the freezer door on the hump in the door for the dispenser on top is the ice container if you look under the hump yopu will see a cover with two screws remove the screws and cover.
And then you will need to find the freezer door switch (normally at the top of the freezer liner ) tape the door switch down so it will tell the unit the door is closed ,but it is not and up inside the area where the cover was test the blue wire to the white wire looking for 120VAC when you then press the ice dispenser lever .
Yes it will help if you have a second person to assist you .
Let me know what if anything you get.
Removed the screws but couldn't get th tup plastic part off.There are screws on the bottom which I removed and tested the Orange and grey wire and a blue and red wire. There was no voltage reading.
Ok when you did this testing and had the door open did you also have the freezer door switch taped down ?
And when testing for the voltage were you or some one pressing on the dispenser lever for ice dispensing?
I taped the freezer door switch down and pressed the dispenser lever.No voltage reading.
ok then that means the control board in the dispenser is the issue .
Here is a link to it.
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Cntrl-Elec/W10677673/3282030?rcaid=1000070
this will be item #15
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/kenmore-elite-refrigerator-parts/model-10657863801/0583/0165000/K0901009/00008.html
If you have any questions just reply back.
Ok. I got the part. How do I replace it?
ok you will need to remove the drip tray and with a flat bladed screw driver or a putty knife go between the dispenser cover (frame trim piece)
And on the very bottom of the trim push down and out to release the trim and pull out and the screws holding the #15 control board are in plain view.
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/K0901009-00008.png
Ok. I replaced the part 15.But it still doesn't work.
ok after replacing the control board have you tested to see if you are not getting voltage to the dispenser auger motor?
Would this be the same test as I performed initially with the voltmeter?
yes that is correct the control that you replaced is what sends voltage to the auger motor , we may have had no voltage going to it because the motor damaged it ,the motor could also be faulty but we need to see if in fact that new control is giving the motor voltage to operate.
Ok
ok no problem just let me know what voltage you get ans remember to tape the light switch down so the control thinks the door is closed .
Am not getting any voltage reading when I press the ice dispenser
And you have the light switch taped down and you are testing the Blue to the white wire when calling for ice from the dispenser.
I've got the light switch taped down but am not testing a blue to white wire.Am testing an orange/grey wire to a blue/red wire at the bottom of the unit
the Blue to the white is what you need to test!
And you are right on the harness for the dispenser motor correct?
I can't get the cover off to find the the blue and white wire after I remove the screws.I mentioned this on May 26th.
your working on the inside of the door under the hump correct. on a six wire plug
Can I send u a pic of the plug?
ok Rather blurry.
That is the harness on the augur motor located inside the hump of the freezer door?
This unit is manufactured by Whirlpool and the technical data sheet shows
Orange/Blue ,Pink /Black, Blue, White and Red /White ,Brown /white on that motor connector
ok and lets look at the model number once again I have it as ***********
Correct
ok so them Kenmore either has the wrong model number on the unit or it is showing the incorrect tech sheet info on their web site.
And everything works on the front control except the ice dispenser correct?
Correct
Ok I got a hold of Whirlpool whom manufactured this unit for Sears and they have the correct tech sheet ,the one Sears shows for your model is incorrect.
I have sent a Message to Sears Technical so hopefully they will remove the incorrect tech sheet and input the correct one in their data base.
Yes the dispenser motor does only have two wires to it a white /red and a gray /orange.
And that voltage that powers your dispenser motor comes from the main control board in the rear of the product.
It gets a signal from the dispenser control to turn the motor on ,
So if you still have the dispenser area open lets see if the P1-7 Tan /Red for continuity when you press the lever.
We know the dispenser control is new so if it is getting the signal to turn the motor on it should be sending it to the main control .
One the P-8 2 tan /black P8-3 black/ White P8-1 Orange/Black.
Then the voltage is sent from the main control board on to the dispenser motor on
P13-1 Gray /orange to the P13-2 White /red and the motor says it is 120 volts D/C
Tell me exactly how to test for continuity
set you meter on the ohms Ω setting and put your meter lead on one side or terminal of the item you are testing and one the other side or lead remove the voltage wire and put the second meter lead there.
To test for continuity allway remove the leads or at least one incoming wire from the component or you may be reading a feed back fro another component.