Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a new GE PHP 900 induction cooktop. Every time I try…

Customer Question
We have a new GE...
We have a new GE PHP 900 induction cooktop. Every time I try to use it I get a F error code. I have tried all burners, used different pots, and I always get the F error code. According to the manual it is due to the pot not being centered, removed, or not detected. I am at a loss as what to do.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/23/2015
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 3 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
What type of metal are these pot make from?
The pots and pans have to allow a magnet to stick to them!
GE PHP900
It is a copper pot and a magnetic sticks to the bottom.
if it is copper it will not work ,and if it is copper a magnet will not stick to copper.
It is copper on the outside but has a metal lining as all copper pots do. We put a magnet on the bottom to make sure it was magnetic and the magnet stuck to the bottom.
so it has to be a thin copper coating , thin enough for a magnet to sense the steel under it .
I`m sorry to say but this INDUCTION cooktop will not work with those pans
Do you have any other type of pans to test it ,and is this unit Brand NEW as in this is the first time it has been used?
This is the first time it has been used. The pan set in the house is all non-magnetic so we are going to make a quick trip to the store to buy a pan to try and see if that works.
ok no problem
New pans worked. Thank you for your help.
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 years ago
ok great sorry you had such an issue!
But yes these induction cooktop are a pain you have to have the correct pots and pans .
glad I could assist you.
If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.
And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me, I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.
Master Tech
Master Tech