Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Good Morning I have a Maytag Epic Front Loader stackablet

Customer Question

Good Morning
I have a Maytag Epic Front Loader stackablet dryer (7 yrs) that all of a sudden does not power on. The inner light is operable when opening the door but when selecting the Control Button none of the below indicator lights are displayed, Estimated Time Remaining display, Dryness, Temp, etc. also do not display. I imagine an internal fuse may need replaced but no where in the manual does it give a depiction on how to access the panel to check.
Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Doug
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
So the first thing you want to do is pull the unit out and test power at the back of the dryer where the power cord connects to the back of the dryer itself. Make sure you have 220 volts getting to the dryer and not just 110 volts or else the control panel won't light up. Other than that if nothing is turning on, your main control board has shorted and would need to be ordered and replaced. This is mounted to the left side wall under the top panel of your washer. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance. Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/7v4pl-maytag-washing-machine-3000-series-front-loader.html#ixzz3amOIyhTO
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Tyler but this a dryer not a washer, when referring to the main control board. I now have an excuse to get a voltage meter.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I just used the wrong word at the end of the first paragraph. I clearly also said "dryer" in the beginning. Sorry about the confusion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No worries, Sir. Appreciate the quick response and guidance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
No problem. If you need anything else just let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Verified 247 VAC at the outer and inner connector. Removed and looked over the board with no visible signs any of the components were burned out. Can only assume it is internal. Ordered a new board ($238) arriving tomorrow. Crossing fingers.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Alright, but to be clear you should have 240 volts between the 2 outside power wires. When you test either wire to the middle wire (neutral wire) you should get a reading of 120 volts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To clarify on my end...Black lead to Green wire (Neutral), Red lead to Red wire (reads 123 VAC)...Red lead to White wire (reads 000.5 VAC)... Red lead to Black wire (reads 123 VAC). Correct reads? Thanks!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
No that is not correct. And quite honestly colors don't mean anything. But something is definitely wrong if you're not getting 220 volts between the 2 outside power wires. Outside to outside you should have 220 volts. If not then you have a problem with the power coming from your house.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmmm...to make sure I completely understand what you are saying, each wire (Red & Black) should read 220 at the back of dryer panel. The wall socket is a 4-plug and four wires connect to the back of the panel: Green for Ground/Neutral, Black, White and Red.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
No that is not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that BETWEEN the two wires you should get 220 volts. When you test each wire to ground or neutral you'll get 110 volts or so. But if you're not getting 220 volts between the 2 outside wires (which are your 2 power wires) then you have a power supply issue. You made a bunch of tests from every combination it appears from what you stated before and you never once got 220 volts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not trying to be difficult. I did do a connection between both red (Red Lead) and black (Black Lead) power wires where it equaled 247.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK well you definitely never once said that before, please go re-read what you told me before. QUOTE: To clarify on my end...Black lead to Green wire (Neutral), Red lead to Red wire (reads 123 VAC)...Red lead to White wire (reads 000.5 VAC)... Red lead to Black wire (reads 123 VAC). Correct reads? Thanks! But if you do have 220 volts between the 2 outside power wires, then as I originally mentioned, you just have a bad control board that will need to be replaced.