Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Samsung refrigerator. I bought it used about a year…

Customer Question
I have a Samsung refrigerator...
I have a Samsung refrigerator. I bought it used about a year ago and recently ran a 1/4" plastic water line and connected it to the refrigerator via a compression fitting. I can see water in the plastic line, but no water dispenses from the door. If I have to do any electrical trouble shooting, I will need instructions on how to use a meter.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/19/2015
Appliance Technician: Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician replied 3 years ago
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, when you press the lever in do you hear the water valve on the back make a buzz or hum type of sound?
No. I do not hear any sound whatsoever.
Slide the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back panel. On the right side you should see the blue water valve with the hoses connecting to it. Let me know when you see it. It looks like the part in the link below.
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/samsung-assy-valve-water-da97-07695a-ap4443753.html
I have done as you commanded. :-)
Each solenoid has two wires going to it. Set the meter to an ACV scale 1-200 what ever setting you have is fine. Test the two wires for 110v when the paddle for water is depressed? Does the solenoid for water at the door have 110v?
Sorry for the delay. Had to get the meter and am currently trying to find the two wires. Not sure how to depress the paddle while checking the wires for 110v. Also, I am unaware of the location of the solenoid at the door. Please advise.
No worries. The two wires connect to the water valve on the back in the corner. The blue valve with the hoses going to it? You see that right? That's the solenoid. Plug the two meter wires into the wires and push the paddle. Drag the meter to the side of the refrigerator so you can see what voltage is present when you press the paddle.
Sorry. I have the device out of the refrigerator cabinet and still cannot locate an access point for testing. The wires above each solenoid are contained in a plastic housing that appears to be permanently affixed to the top of the unit. Each plastic housing contains 1 wire. There are six in all--I guess one water dispenser and 2 ice makers.
When you press the paddle does that piece vibrate or buzz? Have someone press the paddle if you can.
Nothing vibrates or buzzes.
That would usually indicate that the valve is not getting voltage. You have to push the metal ends on the end of the meter into the plastic cap that holds the wires for the valve. It sounds like no power is making it to the water valve. That would indicate an issue with the dispenser board or the paddle switch behind the water paddle lever.
There's no way the meter's metal end is going into any plastic cap. I could take the insulation of the wire above the insertion point, but don't think I can use electrical tape to seal the breach completely. How do I get at the dispenser board and/or the paddle switch or am I in need of a professional at this point?
Yes, sorry. Follow the wires back from the top of the solenoid to the molex connector. Every other brand of refrigerator the wires connect at the valve.
That would depend on how handy you are. The dispenser and paddle are one assembly. You have to grasp the dispenser board and pull out hard. Four tabs hold it in place.
1. Are you telling me to test connectivity at the molex connector?2. I am pretty handy, but would need you to tell me where I need to grasp and pull. Also, once this is accomplished, what would I be looking for (or testing)?Thanks.
Follow the wires from the top of the water valve to the white plastic connector. You need to test the solenoid for the water at the door. If you have 110v present, the valve is bad most likely. The water valve has a side for water at the door and ice that's why one works.
Your instructions are somewhat confusing to me. I think it's because too many steps are being introduced at once. I know we're both doing the best that we can here. Am I allowed to continue this conversation with you for the same money? I have a kid coming home and need to fix dinner. If we can continue, how do we re-engage? Thanks.
Just post back here and we can continue.
Thank you. ***** contact you, I will research some of your instructions.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Extended DIY Guidance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Sounds good.