Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My refrigerator is not cooling. Temperature will not go below

Customer Question

my refrigerator is not cooling. Temperature will not go below 50 degrees. There is a message to change the air filter. Could that be the problem? and where would I find an air filter? is that something I could replace
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
The air filter will not cause the problem. Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator and can be seen if you open the door.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
FPRH19D7LF1
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Perfect, thank you. So the first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer. Remove the screws going into the lower back panel inside the freezer. That will expose the silver evaporator coils and the fan motor. Is the fan motor running? What does the frost look like on the silver coils? Are they packed with frost? Some frost on top but not on bottom? etc...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a stand alone refridgerator. There is no freezer. I am at work and would need to check this after I get home. Is it Ok to get back to you then?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Yes of course. The advice is still the same, you just have a different thermostat inside if it's a refrigerator and not a freezer. I just saw it was a stand alone unit and thought it was a freezer since that's what most stand alone units are.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will get back to you later.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
ok good luck