Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Lg refrigerator purchases 4/12/2012 is running but freezer

Customer Question
isn't freezing anything even after...
Lg refrigerator purchases 4/12/2012 is running but freezer isn't freezing anything even after adjusting the temp setting. The bottom is cool but things aren't as cold as use to be?
Cleaned everything checked for dust etc. still didn't help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/17/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
So the first thing you'd need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Is the fan behind this panel running? And what do the silver coils look like behind this panel? Are they packed with frost? No frost at all? Some frost on top but not on bottom? lightly frosted from top to bottom? etc...
Cannot remove back panel has icemaker that we don't use and no screws?
There are screws going into the icemaker and the icemaker must be removed first. The screws should located just above the icemaker going into the left side wall. Just remove these screws and the icemaker will pull forward so you can unplug it and remove it.
The coil is fully covered with frost
Some frost on line only coils across back are clean and no frost.
OK so it sounds like either the door got left open or you have a defrost problem if the fan above the coil is running. Use a hair dryer and thaw all the frost out and that will get your unit running again. With the coils packed in frost, the unit can't circulate the air properly to the refrigerator or across the freezer. If you have a multimeter you can test continuity through the defrost heater (runs along the bottom below the silver coils) or the defrost thermostat (clipped onto the top of the silver coils with 2 wires going to it). If either part doesn't have continuity through it, then that part has failed and will need to be replaced because it's preventing the unit from going into defrost. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
If the unit is running then it's letting the fan work in the freezer ? I can hear the water draining but can turn the fan inside the back by hand but not turning otherwise but, not sure how to know if it's working?
Close the door for 15 seconds and then open the door quickly and see if the fan is running. The fan should be running whenever the refrigerator is on and cooling so if it's not running, you need to replace the fan motor.
Would that be an expensive part or is it covered under the 7 yr. parts warranty?
It's not covered under anything other than the 1 year warranty but it is about $110 unfortunately. Below is a link to the part. CLICK HERE for fan motor
. I checked it not turning at all so that's what it is. Is that a hard part to replace or does a repair man have to do it? Or is it the white box connected to the back of the fan?
If you're handy you can replace it yourself. It's not difficult to replace. Just unplug the refrigerator first. You can see the fan motor you're replacing in the link I gave you before if you click on it.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc