John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a whirlpool side by side frig that intermittently dispenses

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool side by side frig that intermittently dispenses water on its own
Category: Appliance
Expert:  repairman4734 replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is Farrell & I will be helping you with your problem today. Thanks for your question. Your water supply to the frig. stops at the water valve at the back. These valves can leak occasionally. When that happens, it opens just enough to push water into the reservoir in the refrig. which then pushes water out the dispenser. Probably you are going to need to replace this valve, and it more than likely will solve your problem. Take a look at the following site, that I am sending you. Order the part and install. Nice thing about repairclinic.com, you can return parts for a full money back guarantee, if for some reason it didn't fix the problem;
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/b5p4/Whirlpool-Refrigerator-Water-Inlet-Valve/W10408179/1938614?modelNumber=ED2FHEXNL00&ss=a4b5d651147-x76616c7665&mr=1 Let me know how you come out, and I am usually here, if you have further questions. Have a good day, Farrell
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The water valve is brand new, just replace yesterday as well as the dispenser lever microswitch!!!
Thanks for your response back. Since replacing these parts, has it done it again? The control panel for the icemaker, has an electronic circuit board inside that lets you go to the different functions. You do have to purchase the front panel to get it. A bit pricey. Farrell
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It worked fine yesterday afternoon and evening, but problem is back this morning. Ice maker is woking fine. The water dispenser activates on its own for just a few seconds, just enough to make a small puddle on floor in front of frig. I can hear the solenoid activate momentarily when this happens...
Hi again. You have eliminated the valve and the microswitch. Everything the frig does is controlled by the electronic control board in the frig. Your dispenser control for water plugs into this board. The function on this may be intermittently shorting out. Sears parts direct has this part'
( 1 )(###) ###-####electronic control board $57.12