Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Neither the fridge nor the freezer cool anymore. Fridge temp is 76 degrees and the freeze

Customer Question
Neither the fridge nor the...
Neither the fridge nor the freezer cool anymore. Fridge temp is 76 degrees and the freezer temp is 2 degrees, light is on.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/10/2015
Appliance Technician: Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, what is the model number? The freezer temp is at 2 degrees?
Model # ***** ***** Yes freezer temp is 2 degrees and fridge is 76 degrees
Do you see ice on the back panel inside the freezer?
No there is no ice, i just checked. Its at 9 degrees now. I dont ever remember there being any ice there even when it was working fine
Do you hear a fan running inside the freezer?
I don't hear anything in the freezer itself but the fan in the back of the fridge is running
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If you hear no fan running in the freezer, that is your problem. The fan is likely faulty. The fan is shown as number 610 in the diagram at the URL below.
http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/4/00127600/00127678.i02/680/900
The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Evaporator-Fan-Motor/WR60X10196/1170114?rcaid=1000054
So there are 2 fans? The one in the rear bottom and another one in the freezer? The freezer is at 7 degrees and when i put the setting at 0 degrees it stays at zero for 2 seconds and the right back to 7 degrees. The fridge temp is at 75
Correct, the fresh food section gets its cold from the freezer by way of the fan behind the rear wall, inside the freezer. If that fan is not running, the cold air will stay only in the freezer.
Im sorry to ask again but i got a little confused after reading your answer. I pulled the rear metal panel off and saw that is a fan next to some black coil looking thing. That fan is working fine and the compresor is hot to the touch. So i have to replace the other fan that is inside the freezer? How do i get to it? From the rear or front of the fridge?
Please, ask anything you are not clear on, I am happy to help! You are exactly correct, the fan inside the freezer is what you will need to replace. To get to it, the rear panel from inside the freezer will need to be removed.
Ok i took the fan and motor out of the freezer. I used a multimeter to determine that there is 00.1 in the red wire going to the fan motor when i have the multimeter set to 200v a/c. Is that what the reading should be?
Actually, the reading stays on 00.1 for like a second and then goes to 00.0I did the same to the red wire for the ice maker and it stays at 00.1Does this mean there is a wiring/circuit problem and its not the fan motor?
Are you testing between the two wires in the fan harness? Are you holding the door switch closed when you test for that power?
That fan motor is a DC motor, so you would need to test between the number 3 & 4 pins of the J2 plug on the main freezer control board mounted on the back of the cabinet. You should read 4-12 VDC. Let me know what you find.
Are you sure its J2 and not J3? And i was checking the red cable that goes into the plug that goes into the the fan to make sure the fan was getting juice, was i correct to do that?
It fluctuates a lot, from .01 to like .26 then to .02 rapidly
Yes, the J3 plug, 3rd and 4th wires, meter set to the 20 on the DC scale. Meter probes on red and yellow wires.
Im sorry, can you explain what you mean by testing "between the 3rd and 4th pins" with my multimeter?
Kelly, Appliance Technician