John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a maytag bravo mvwb750wq. I am getting F51 code in

Customer Question

I have a maytag bravo mvwb750wq. I am getting F51 code in wash cycle or UL code in spin (when the load is not uneven). Runs full cycle with no codes when empty. A little bit of a grinding sound in wash cycle. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
It seems that you already know that the error code F-51 is for a unbalanced load.
The control senses that by the drag on the motor ,If you have a grinding noise in the spin mode .
I would think the grinding is the tub bearing going out ,'
which will cause drag on the motor.
Depending upon how handy you are ,the replacement of the bearing and tub seal is not that made to replace.
I can provide part numbers and even a video if you would like that info ,just let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have taken the tub out before and replaced the drain pump as well. So I think I could tackle the job. Any way I can tell if it is the bearing and not the rps sensor without taking out the bearing. The bearing tool seems pricey and would like to avoid buying if I don't have to. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Seems like heavier loads, like towels, trigger the code the most.
the only way to tell if it is a bearing is just turn the inner drum by hand if ir rumbles ,scrape then it is the bearing .
As for the tools you can call around to local service companies to see if they would rent you the tools to remove and replace the bearing and seal kit
And the only way you will know if it is just the RPS sensor causing the error is to replace it .
But the sensor would not be causing the scrapping noise that is something else totally different.
.
Do you still need assistance?