Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My dishwasher splashes water out from the middle left side

Customer Question

My dishwasher splashes water out from the middle left side of bottom of door at the ten minute mark of the cycle. I think this is when it actually starts washing. It only does it this one time, not during the remaining cycle. Also, if the dishwasher is rerun, it does not leak.
It is definitely coming over the bottom tub lip. It is not the door gasket. The dishwasher is level from side to side and front to back. We did try raising the front a little, but still have the problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
The dishwasher starts washing /circulating the water at the 2 minute mark
When this happens could it be the first drain cycle to drain the water out of the unit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
NO, it drains fine from a prerinse or sensing cycle. Then, I hear it fill. When it starts washing that is when it leaks. During the first 10 minutes it seems to fill a little, swish for a few seconds, drain. I think this is the sensing part. then it does a complete drain, then fills and is not overfilling - water is pretty shallow and not to top of bottom of tub front. Then when arms start going water runs out at bottom middle just left of the Whirlpool label on front of machine. I can put my fingers up under the door and feel the water sloshing and/or spraying over the tub edge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This only happens the first time you run dishwasher during the day. when we run the next day, the same thing happens at the 10 minute time into the cycle.
ok and all of the holes in the lower spray arm are clear of any debris?
so your saying you could run it more then once a day and this will only happen on the first operation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All the spray arm holes are clear of debris. Correct, it only happens the first time you run the dishwasher in any day. when we run it the next morning, it leaks again at the 10 minute mark.
I have no idea what would cause this to do it just once through out the entire operating cycle.
I will opt out in hopes some one else has seen this .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, are you passing this off to another technician or what?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! When the wash cycle starts, during the filling period, the vent in the upper left corner needs to open to allow the initial pressure to escape when the recirculation pump first begins. If that vent does not open in time, you will see the water leak during the first couple seconds that the wash motor starts. I suspect that is what is happening with your machine. That vent is controlled with a wax motor that is prone to failure. The vent assembly is sold complete and is shown as number 5 in the diagram at the URL below. The vent is replaced by separating the door panels after the screws from around the inner door panel are removed.
http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/3/130/00000034/680/900
The vent assembly is available below.
The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Vent/W10428211/2311799?rcaid=1000054
Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!