John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Ok I talked to my husband and he said to go ahead. Do I have

Customer Question

ok I talked to my husband and he said to go ahead. Do I have to pay you if I am told to order the wrong part? My dryer has several untestable parts. my husband has already done a continuity test and found no obvious identifiable cause for the dryer not working.
How the problem presented. Went to use dryer and pushed power and it kind of flashed and then only played half a chime. Attempted to press power again and then chime was even shorter then nothing.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
will not be given the wrong parts info if your model number is *****
But yes you will have to pay ,you are paying for the answer to your question not the fix of your appliance.
Your husband has preformed a continuity test ,but has he done any voltage tests.
And your model number is ***** four more digits on the end after the XAA-????
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no there is only a serial number w03L54BQ601680Y model DV448AEP/XAA
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes he has done voltage test and no problem has been identified.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not all parts are testable
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so you know of no know problem that is signaled by turning on the dryer and hearing only half the chime before it goes dead?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can send you a photo of my tag inside the door.
ok if you have no numbers after the XAA we will go with DV448AEP/XAA-0000
when you open the dryer door does the interior light come on?
and if it does when you press on the door switch does the light go off?
From what you are saying it sounds as if the door switch is not telling the control board that the door is closed.
The only part that is not testable is the electronic control and it is to an extent.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No , the light does not come on when you open the door or when you push in the light button.You said I am paying for the answer to my question. To be clear my question is what is wrong with my dryer and what part needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To be clear not light or sound comes on at all but right before everything stopped it had half a chime twice and went completely dead.
And to be clear if you do not tell me what the unit is doing or do not answer any questions I may have do you just expect me to guess,which of the 134 parts the dryer has is bad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I does nothing. It does not turn on. What additional question would you like me to answer. I will do my best to answer. I have never used your service and am trying to understand how it works.
ok well when you open the door the interior light does not go on.
which it should even if the control is not turned on.
So the first thing I would do is to test the door switch to see if it is even getting voltage.
Did your husband do that or do you know?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he check the door switch to see if it had continuity and resistance and it did with in manufacture specs, but he did not check voltage because it was unplugged. He did not check voltage to the door. He could do this but he is not sure how. I do not work with this equipment but my husband does. He is not home right now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he was not sure what was wrong and was leaning toward the control panel but it sounds like you are leaning more toward the door switch.
yes we need to test the door switch for voltage if it is not working it will never tell the control board that the door is closed ,and if the control thinks the door is open it will not start .
Now you can answer another question ,this chime happens after the control is on or just as you power the unit on? and have not selected the cycles and or options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
normal operation- Press the power button and right away instantly you hear the chime and the panel lights up for you to program the cycle of choice.
And then can you program the selection you want?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
ok and when you then press start what does the unit do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
right now when you press the power button nothing happens. Its as if the unit is not pugged in but it is. No chime -no lights nothing. normally when you press start the cycle begins. We cant even get to that point right now.
ok so the very first thing the husband need to do is to verify that the unit is even getting voltage, no interior light ,no display sounds as if not voltage is coming into the unit .
have him test the voltage right where the line cord attaches to the dryer in the rear of the unit. then we can go from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have him do this but I believe has. Not sure. Candace
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I get back in touch with you? Just return to this blog?
Just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me when you can!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We tested and we have verified power to the unit.( We tested at the connections to the dryer) while plugged in). You asked us to check the door switch. I tested the switch for continuity - when pressed it reads switch is allowing current and when door open that circuit path disconnected.The dryer does nothing. Normally if door open I can power on the control panel, but can not start. The panel display will say door open.. But I get nothing- Just as if not plugged in.
ok you need to test the door switch for voltage NOT continuity ! Continuity can fool you !
And when the control panel is displaying door open is the door open or closed at that time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will need to figure out how to test voltage. And when I stated panel display that is when it was working. It is not working now.
I have to go to work and will check switch when I get back.
ok no problem!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am at an impasse. I can not determine how to do a voltage test on door switch. The door switch clicks when depressed and has correct continuity. Any suggestion on how to test the switch for voltage. 3 wires in a plastic cover connector. Since light does not come on and switch has continuity would tell me either light bad or no voltage to door switch. What would cause no power?
Sure test each wire to chassis ground .
The one marked COMM should have 120 volts going to it at all times to ground ,with the door closed the switch should read voltage on the NC terminal and with the door open the switch should read 120 volts to ground on the NO terminal.
No power could be something as simple as a burnt connection or a loose wire.