Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Why does my Maytag commercial coin dryer keep saying SYNC.

Customer Question

Why does my Maytag commercial coin dryer keep saying SYNC. I cant seem to get it to remove itself from the trouble code screen and no appliance tech reps for Maytag knows what it means or what I am supposed to fix. It will run flawlessly for about the 1st 5minutes but once the flame goes out it never reignites after that. The drum will turn and it continues to run but no heat. All electric components checked out in a ohm's/continuity check-high limit thermostat, cycling thermostat, thermistor, thermal fuse, igniter, flame sensor and solenoids and because no one from the top to the bottom could tell me what SYNC means over the last two months out of desperation I have replaced all these parts plus a control board. I've had two different appliance reps look at it one for 3 weeks and he couldn't figure it out !! WHAT IS THIS MACHINE TRYING TO TELL ME. SPENT FOUR HOURS LOOKING ON THE WEB TO FIND AN ANSWER TO THIS CODE ISSUE/QUESTION WITH NO LUCK !!!! model number is *****
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
SO ARE YOU HAVING ANY LUCK SOLVING THIS PROBLEM?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
IT SEEMS TO BE A HEAT RELATED ISSUE .THOUGHT IN THE BIGINNING THAT IT WAS THE SOLINOIDS BECAUSE SOMETIMES THEY WOULD CHATTER BUT THEY CHECK OUT O.K. BUY I CHANGED THEM OUT ANYWAY ALONG WITH THE FLAME SENSOR BUT NOTHING CHANGED SYMPTOMS STILL THERE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS *****@******.***
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you still there ???
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The issue is with the electronics communicating with each other. Most often it is the high voltage board and not the user interface that causes the problems, but either could be a problem as well as the cabling between the two. The main control is part number W10166305, is that the part that you replaced? Will the unit go into a service mode? The tech sheet with programming instructions is available below. Let me know what happens, please.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/8ju84s8dv185jd4/MDG25PDA_Tech_Sheet.pdf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good morning Kelly- to your question about the 4"x6"control board its the one under the top lid on the left side (upper area). I will check that number W10166305 when I find the receipt. Do you have the part number for the high voltage board ? all order that next. My phone number is ***-***-****. Thanks for your support-Kurt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh yeah what does the high voltage board look like and where normally is it located ?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Good morning, Kurt! That is the high voltage board, yes. It is the 4 x 6 one with the white plastic housing. The User Interface board is the one that is shown in the diagram as number 13 at the URL below.
http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/2/126/00000032/680/900
If you have replaced the high voltage board and the connections and cabling are all in good order, the issue likely lies with the UI board. I have posted the link below to a company that allows return of installed parts, so you can negate any risk of getting stuck with another part if it is found to be another problem.
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/W10166385/1937306?rcaid=1000054
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah Kelly the housing is white that the electrical board sits in. So it sounds like (if the wiring checksout) that I should order the user interface board next.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How much does that normally cost?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
That is correct, the UI board is about $150 below. Did you get it to go into any of the service modes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what you mean by service modes. It will run on any of the three (push button) settings on the front right hand side if that's what you mean. The part that you talked about (the user interface board) has been ordered and it was about 150.00 I couldn't find it locally had to order it from Searspartsdirect.com (all the other places said it was a discontinued item for some reason). I'm so glad you had an idea what SYNC meant no one could tell me anything about it and the so called Maytag tech reps which seriously didn't know anything about their own dryer would always shuffle me off the local appliance business's who were to busy to help or care. I'm going to use you religiously from here on in if problems arise just because at least you have an idea what's happening. They are like the blind leading the blind. They were absolutely no help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh and the part that was ordered was part number W10166385. They said it would be here by next wednesday.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
I sent you links to the service tech sheet and the part above. The tech info is available below again.
Copy and paste that URL above and it will allow you to download the technical information regarding the service and programming modes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah I tried to download that info but my computer has a Norton Virus protector an it stopped me an said that there is a Trojan in the download so I never got to see it.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
That is a secure file sharing site, it should not be an issue at all. I use it all the time. I wonder if you have a security setting issue. I just downloaded it with no issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Kelly it's Kurt just to let you know the UI Board didn't solve the problem it was a part in a long list of parts that didn't do anything to solve the problem. Total parts to date include: 1 thermal fuse, 1 thermistor, 1 high end thermostat, 1 cycling thermostat, 1 main control board, 1 UI board, 2 sets of solenoids. The only thing left to change is the gas valve regulator that solinoids attach to. Solenoids are still chattering. Symptoms have never changed or deviated it runs for 5 minutes the igniter turns off and doesn't reignite until twenty to 30 minutes later. Trouble code still exists it says : sync or 5ync depend on how you interpit it. Any ideas ????
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
P.S. your down load didn't have the Trojan horse. I had a Trojan waiting at the gates an I let it in when I down loaded the schematic an it pretty much ran the computer in to the ground. This is a brand new computer..... the old one was 1500.00 Fry's Computers ask to keep the computer because it did something that a virus has never done it got into a file and added a secret code that will not allow the computer to even open without supplying the code. Im not blaming you you had no way of knowing and I didn't know it either.